Discussion of BoD Agenda Items category and communication with Board

So is the board going to pay any attention to this category, or it just going to be a honeypot since attendance at board meetings is seemingly all that matters?

2 Likes

Off topic to the request, can you make a new thread?

1 Like

Nothing about this request implies a change in any procedures - just a record-keeping clarification.

1 Like

It’s loaded questions like these that really make me want to volunteer and campaign to become a board member and help out the makerspace.

2 Likes

It’s board member responses like this and this and a conversation with a third board member that makes me question whether feedback not in person will be given any real consideration whatsoever.

2 Likes

The mods can fork it if they’re so inclined.

I can only speak for myself, but I work very hard to read and consider all opinions made anywhere. I monitor the upcoming Board & Member meetings daily, to find when new items are posted so I can start researching immediately. I read and give thought to every single topic, post and PM on talk. I bring any and all evidence to support my vote with me to every meeting.

I’m sorry that we’ve got ourselves into a position where the membership feels under-represented at Board Meetings, and I will personally make it one of my goals to increase representation of thoughts and ideas of members at the meetings, and on online channels.

5 Likes

Thank you. The past postings in the linked topic re:trebuchet were extremely discouraging thus my skepticism.

Eric, I do my best to look at all the talk posts I can. I listen to every opinion I hear and I take into consideration several things, not the least being how active you have been with the issue at hand, what your knowledge level on the issue seems to be and ultimately i make informed decisions based on what is best for DMS. I believe that every board member does this. Whether or not you are at the board meeting is not as important to me than if you have been involved with the issue at the space. Active working knowledge of an issue at DMS is my preference, however, I do recognize all veiwponts and take them into my decision making process.

2 Likes

We are unfortunately in a difficult position for effective communication. So many channels! We have Talk, Wiki, Discord, Member & Board Meetings and in person chats. Some people participate in all of them down to none.

New board meetings are thankfully much shorter but I feel they lose the last opportunity for member input. Member meetings are often a wash as far as turnout unless the membership is being fed. Discussion on talk seemed fairly effective but passions can get the threads off track. Many people have no problem saying something on talk that they never would say in person.

We can continue to try discussing agenda items on talk. Maybe it will take a little more personal restraint to to keep the threads on point.

2 Likes

I give everyone opportunity to speak to the point during the board meetings.

1 Like