Discourse why do you do this

Dear Discourse, tell me why replies require 20 characters but image/video responses without any real content are a-ok…

4 Likes

While we are at it, what’s with the idiotic “Your post looks similar to this one” blue box presented on left when composing, even though the posts involved couldn’t be more dissimilar if someone tried!

7 Likes

The complete sentence one doesn’t come up much, but is particularly.

2 Likes

Discourse has a feature that allows setting the minimum number of characters in a post (to prevent nefarious actors from autoloading a bunch of stuff). The default is 20 characters and we have retained that limit.

AFAIK, there isn’t anything that prevents loading a link to a video. Uploading a video - yes; a link, no.

Any user can flag those, however, as being off-topic.

lol…hint, hint!

2 Likes

I try my best but they sneak through

3 Likes

“I wish Discourse used full Emacs-style editing commands”
– One singular person on the entire planet

2 Likes

It must believe that a picture is worth a thousand words…

3 Likes

Assuming the video is at least 30 FPS that’s 1,800,000 words per minute.

1 Like

Hey now, Emacs is a decent operating system. Just not sure why anyone uses it as a text editor since vim exists.

Not gonna lie, I’m really not a fan of how Discourse handles posting. Not after using competent imageboard software like phpbb and vbulletin to do the same thing much more effectively and flexibly for many years. Formatting makes no sense, a lot of formatting tools simply don’t exist, and the tools that do exist work differently than I’d expect after years of everything else working one way. To say nothing of how bad its post suggestions are. Make too many comments in one thread and it basically tells you to shut up- what’s up with that?

Also why did discourse go back to making the back button go to the last thread viewed and not the normal thread list

1 Like

your browser’s back button, or something built into discourse?
My browser back button still (usually) goes to whatever my previous screen was, whether that is another thread, or the thread list, depending how I got here…

1 Like

Easy fix… Just change these to something reasonable (like 5).

2 Likes

The similar posts thing just checks the title against other similar titles as far as I can tell.

This setting determines how many characters need to exist in the title before it starts checking.

2 Likes

Mobile. I only get on here when I’m bored

1 Like

Roger that.
Chrome on Android still (usually) does what I expect. Sometimes, though, the browser’s back button does weird stuff. Mostly that happens if it’s employed more than once in a row…