Digital Media Committee Meeting 6-26-18

We’re having a committee meeting on this coming Tuesday.
I’ve got some proposed changes to the rules that we will be voting on.

Mainly they are regarding time limits in the Digital Media room.
The idea is to increase transparency and make the room more available to everyone.

Here is a link to my draft of the proposed rule changes.

My suggested changes are marked in red, and I have intentionally left blanks for some things because I would like to hear the committee’s opinion on what time limits would be fair.

1 Like

Is there some way for people to check if other people need to use the room?
Is there some way for people to announce to other that they want to use the room without being a bother?

1 Like

As for the first thing, no there is no way of knowing if someone else needs the room unless that person explicitly tells you. I’m open to ideas here.

The second item, the only idea I have is a whiteboard like we use for laser and 3D Fab.

But again, if the door is closed the person in DM hasn’t a clue what’s going on outside.

This is part of why I would like to shorten the limit, but also to differentiate between a scheduled session and an unscheduled one.

The idea behind documenting the in and out times of unscheduled sessions is so that if someone needs to use something in the DM room then they know when the person began occupying the room and they have a clue as to when the room will be free.

We might even have some way of indicating whether or not the closed door actually means “DO NOT DISTURB”

We have a spiffy “ON THE AIR” sign which acts as a DND, but we really need to know how long the room will be occupied.

For example if I show up at 9PM hoping to work on something and the door is closed I have no way of knowing if the room is even occupied. If I know the limit and when the person started their session then I can decide whether I have time to wait on them or if I should just go home.

If someone closes the door and forgets to turn off the sign on then the room is inaccessible to anyone at all, so we just need better communication.

Maybe we need a light on the inside … like a doorbell but with a light?

1 Like

Put up frames from the security camera like we do for Automotive and a few other committees?

1 Like