Digit media camera classes

Well given the hubbub I decided to follow up on something on my backburner and figure out how in the hell people are supposed to get access to the DM cameras.

According to the wiki 4 classes are required to be able to check them out.

If we look at the classes under DM, we see that a total of 6 (8 if the video classes count) have been taught for the entirety of 2019.

There isn’t a posted curriculum on the wiki, and the particular classes (if particular ones are required and not just any 4) are not listed.

Does anyone have any more specifics on camera checkouts, i.e. how often / number of members who have actually been able to?

unknown

4 Likes

In practice (for 2019), the cameras have been locked behind one of the large cabinets, with the key to the cabinet stored behind another locker that is accessible via pattern lock.

Users who are interested in a camera can request the pattern combination from any member of the digital media committee. This is more of a checkout system rather than a ‘training required to get the pattern’ system since the cameras are so valuable and are so easy to walk away with or damage. This may not be the best solution but it has worked in practice so far.

One major improvement that I think could quickly be implemented would be to put contact information for the digital media committee members up on the cabinet, so that a user can quickly reach out to the committee members.

2 Likes

Interesting. When I first joined the cameras were something I was into, but other interests quicky took over. But talking with the former chair the classes are all i was told and all it says on the wiki.
I think better documentation can help with that.

This seems pretty simple from a technical perspective. I can try and whip something up next time I’m at the space.

However, the list looks pretty large. Is there by chance an email group of particularly active members?

I will be joining the discussion. My new work has me also involved in media development. Looking forward to talking with Kevin Patel and others about Dig.Media.

3 Likes

Can anyone tell me what (brand/model) camera or cameras are there?

Panasonic Lumix G DMC-GX85
Sony HD AVCHD NEX-5
Sony a7iii ILCE-7M3
Sony DSC-RX10

2 Likes

The mirrorless A7III might be fun to play with

This is the lumix with 2 lenses. Doing a photo/video shoot Tuesday at work for ultimately a 90 second internal commercial

Do we have a macro lens available for checkout?