Did you know we have a Track Saw

Continuing the discussion from Panel Saw for sale:

I thought it might be nice to drag this out of the discussion to draw attention to it.
If I understand correctly, it’s this model.
So it allows plunge cutting, and, I presume, includes the 55" track, which essentially clamps to the workpiece and bench, allowing you to run the saw along the track to make nice straight cuts.
I like the idea, but have never used one. I HAVE used a circular saw with a guide track with great success, but this is obviously a more precise variant on the same idea…
Anyone like to add experiences?
Plusses or minuses vs. other ways of doing similar deeds?

Where does one find this device and/or its accompanying track?

Thank you for pointing it out. This seems quite useful…

We have 2 of the 55 inch tracks with the clamps so you can rip down a full sheet if you want.

The saw is on the wall next to the drill press along with the tracks.

Tips

• use the included clamps to make sure the track does not move on you.
  • mark your line and then line up the track to the line. It is set up to cut flush with the plastic insert
  • make sure the blade has stopped before lifting it back up.

If a class on all the smaller machines is wanted, I am willing to teach it. The Festool Domino XL is another great tool that is under utilized.

5 Likes

There’s pictures inside the top of the box to show you how to put it back up. Please don’t just throw it all back in there. Those Germans put a lot of time in to that info graphic.

6 Likes

Plunging, as with any plunge tool, should be done slowly and carefully. Inside the box for the saw are the two Festool system clamps that are designed to slide in a t-slot in the bottom of the track to affix the track to your material. You can use each 55" piece separately or mated together. The best thing about Festool system tools is their modularity. You can hook up the Festool dust extractor (the one with the sanders more or less permanently attached to it) to it for excellent dust collection. The saw cuts on the track line. When you look at the track, there is a plastic edge – that plastic edge is the cutting face of the blade with no offset. This saw is still only as precise as your measurement, layout, and set up abilities.

It’s quick to set up by yourself. With enough saw horses you can rip full sheets easily.

Sorry for the delayed response, didn’t have a chance to give a thoughtful reply last night.

3 Likes

I for one would love a class on these tools.

2 Likes

Please include a demo on how to empty the dust bag.

4 Likes