Design Software

Is there any recommended software for design for 3D printing? And is there something members can get a discount on?

Jules

Just jumping in here with some minimal information –
We’ve got design software, and you should be able to get to it through the Jump Server. Go to Remote Desktop in your program choices, and I believe that’s physical dot dallasmakerspace dot org. I only access the Jump Server from DMS computers, so I never have to type that out. The design programs are also accessible on the 3 computers labeled “Design” in the Common Room.

3 Likes

AutoCAD and Zbrush are two pieces of software that come to mind when talking about creating 3D objects…

A full Solidworks license is available on the JUMP server.
Some education licenses for you home computer may still be available:

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/JumpServerFAQ

I don’t think that we’ve got those on our system? At least I’ve never heard those discussed. Ah – I see Frank has commented while I was typing this.

There’s TinkerCAD which is a web-based free CAD and fun to get your feet wet. Some folks like to design in Blender, especially for curvy things. You could try FreeCAD (rough around the edges but it’s on version 0.something) and there’s a series of “learn FreeCAD” articles in HackSpace magazine (which you can download for free).

1 Like

If you’re new to CAD software, start with Tinkercad online. It’s free.

Then graduate to Solidworks once you’ve realized its limitations.

5 Likes

FreeCAD and Blender are both free. Great tutorials for both online, also free.

2 Likes

Thank you!

If you want to get into advance designs; such as beveled gears and gear drives, I would suggest advancing to a CAD program that allows you import stl and other 3D files. The gears for this right-angle drive were downloaded from McMaster-Carr: https://www.mcmaster.com/bevel-gears/for-shaft-angle~90-/number-of-teeth~28/
I use PETG for strength and durability.

I’m curious if there’s enough interest for a class in designing with Solidworks and/or 3D printing mechanical designs?

Hit the like button or reply with what you would interested in learning.

6 Likes

I would love that

1 Like

Bear in mind that if you’re running a Mac that some of these packages do not run in Mac OS native mode.

EDIT: Solidworks and Tinkercad are the ones that do not run on Mac.

Can’t believe nobody has mentioned Blender, which is free for everyone, forever

1 Like

Houdini is a really powerful application with many features that are helpful for 3D printing.

Actually… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am running a Mac. Tinkercad works well. It is web based. I am learning Blender and Tinkercad, which is pretty easy to use but a challenge for complex things.

Jules

1 Like

see also: :blankspace:

2 Likes

If you want a web based tool Onshape is also great.

2 Likes

I’d take that class. I’m currently setting up a hard surface-specific Blender/VR modeling work flow. Got a ways to go but it’s been a dream of mine to have a work flow just like the one I’m creating now for a very long time. Thought I was going to have to write it myself, but only recently learned it was already being done. :wink:

DD

1 Like

I’d be interested in the bit about 3D printing mechanical designs. (Sorry - using a Mac - so I’m sticking with Fusion 360).

1 Like