Design software for our tools

Useful information. That’s the kind of info we need added to the wiki.

If we’re accumulating a list of 3D design tools, Autodesk also has 123Design. Free but with a paid upgrade.

When I first saw “FeatureCAM (an Autodesk product)”, I too said “WTF is he on about?”. Then I realized we’re talking about Autodesk, who likes to buy everyone and everything. A quick Google confirmed what he’s saying :smile:

The annoying thing about DXF support AFAICT is the nature that there a LOT of versions and then there are ASCII and binary version of each product version/year.

Very interesting, I like to learn more about it all.

I don’t know, I didn’t try them. I haven’t used DXF files from OpenSCAD much, but I thought I remember reading that they only output 2D dxf files, which wouldn’t work with FeatureCAM very well. But like I said, I haven’t used them much and could easily be wrong.

Please confirm I am reading this correctly:

There is not a single source CAD or Design software program that can export to the files needed to create the g-code for the individual CAM software on each machine?

For the laser, I design my object in Fusion 360 in case I needed a 3D drawing later. For laser, I print a perspective to a PDF and feed it into Inkscape for the laser. Does this mean that my 3D drawings will not be useful for 3D printers, HAAS and the Wood CNC?

Fusion 360 (or Inventor) can produce files that are useable on all of our CNC machines, within their limitations. Though the best format changes as you mention.

As an example I recently produced a 3d design that was intended for the HAAS in Inventor. I 3d printed these files to test the design before I machined them.

I also have a tabbed box design in Inventor that I have cut with the laser.

1 Like

The main thing I haven’t figured out an exact workflow on yet (mainly because it’s not that hard to work around) is a few things on 2D drawings. I like to use construction lines for instance. In VCarve, I’m typically selecting these and deleting them (or intentionally not selecting them during tool path generation). I’m sure there’s a workflow there to get things in proper layers and hiding said layers in VCarve when generating tool paths, I just haven’t tried to figure that out yet.

My mind still prefers those little annoyances as opposed to leaving the world of constrained sketches and trying to use something like Inkscape.

1 Like

Yep, that is why @frank_lima was finally able to bring me into the world of parametric 3D CAD. Well that, and the fact that I have decided that I really like being able to use a single package to produce design files for any CNC machine.

That feeling when a sketch is fully constrained…complete serenity :relieved:

1 Like

This is good information; thank you and please continue…

What I hope to accomplish is addressing the common concern: I took the class. It covered how to use the machine and how to avoid breaking it. But I did not learn how to get my idea into a computer and to the tool.

By collecting information about what design software and techniques others have used successfully, a beginner will have an idea how to start.

1 Like

You’re mixing up different processes.

You model stuff in a CAD (computer-aided design) platform (OpenSCAD, Inventor, Draftsight, 2D, 3D… there are lots of possibilities). This is where you figure out your dimensions and sizes and whatnot. Some people use Inkscape for the laser cutter to design their whatever. These programs, regardless, produce some file with representative geometry of your part.

CAM is not “on a machine.” CAM takes a model (again, lots of possibilities) and turns it in to g-code that the machine can understand. Different machines have different tooling, different required feeds and speeds, or even different commands they recognize. Different CAM softwares can utilize different model types, but most of your recognizable formats should be fine. The same 3D model (given that it can be read by the CAM software and actually performed by the machine) can be used to generate multiple different g-code files for different machines. This is where you figure out, “Oh, this is a 3D printer job” and do the slicing and stuff, or “this is for the Haas!” and jump in to FeatureCAM. When you print for the laser cutter and set your speed/power and layers, you are doing CAM for the laser. This process is sometimes integrated into other phases (HSM/SolidWorks is my only experience in this).

You load the g-code into it’s respective machine and the controller reads it and moves the machine around. Some machines require detailed setups (Haas!), some are really simple (laser).

Edit: maybe you’re not mixing it up and you’re just looking for a file-type compatibility explanation or something… Inventor can dump out files that FeatureCAM and V-Carve can handle. I would assume it can drop out STLs as well, if my limited 3D printing knowledge is serving me.

3 Likes

All well said, and a good overview of CAD/CAM overall.

One point of clarity (that might only be interesting to me?) is many machines have their own dedicated controller, and some do not. The Emco for instance uses LinuxCNC (a Linux distro running on a PC) as its controller to interpret G-Code and send appropriate commands to steppers attached to the machine. The PCB mill also operates in this manner.

Sometimes the line is slightly blurred. For instance the Shapeoko uses a PC to stream G-Code files over a USB serial line to a controller on the actual Shapeoko (which itself is an Arduino). Similarly, the Haas can be “drip fed” from a PC to a serial line, but the controller is in the Haas.

2 Likes

I think that’s interesting as well, and don’t know enough about CNC design to make sense of it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

For those interested, I just created an event for a workshop from 7p-9p on the 28th of this month for us to get together and discuss and share our tips for producing 3D designs. It should show up in the calendar in a day or two, but here is the description. No charge, and I don’t anticipate this being a class format but rather a group where we share our tips.

[quote]
This get together is open to anyone interested in collaborative learning of the 3D design process for the purposes of creating files that can be produced on one or more of our CNC machines (laser cutter, 3D printers, CNC router, HAAS, EMCO, Shaepeko, etc…)

One technique demonstrated will be to use the spaces AutoDesk Inventor license to construct a parametric tabbed box suitable for cutting on the laser or with a few modifications on the cnc router.

I encourage others to come with questions or even better their favorite techniques to share with other members.[/quote]

5 Likes

That’s great, that will be right after my HAAS class & fresh in my mind.

Ack! Walter, I’m out of town and would love to attend! :frowning:

@zmetzing sorry you can’t make this one, but I am thinking this may be a regular get together.

One thing we all have in common is a needto design ‘stuff’ for our cnc tools to make.

I like the idea of us learning from each other!

2 Likes

I plan on attending as well. Previously, all my work has been done in 3D Studio Max (now Autodesk 3Ds Max Design). Will be interesting to introduce the other modeling software. Past few weeks I have modeled some items and 3D printed them. Now I’ll be tested on the CNC router and in future would like to also leverage the CNC in the machine shop. Would be nice to have a single work flow to follow that simply accounts for the end medium/machine.

AAACK!
How did you know I would NOT be able to make that?!?
Hopefully I can catch the next bus, 'cause this is one area where I need serious assistance in getting off the ground. Right now I feel like a bumble bee–too big for my wings…
actually I guess it’s more like an ostrich, since they actually do NOT fly…