Denim and cotton

Has anyone ever tried cutting cotton t-shirt fabric or jean denim fabric with the thunder? My initial thought is it would just catch on fire, but I’d like to see if anyone else has input on this

I have see people laser cut paper and lace fabric on the laser, so I think it should work fine with the correct settings.

1 Like

It should cut just fine, I’ve cut thin cotton muslin with no fire issues. The air assist on the other hand can be a bit of a PITA if it blows cut fabric around.

I would suggest ironing the fabric to freezer paper before you cut it. It will help to both flatten and stiffen it for the cut, and then comes off easily afterwards.

2 Likes

That sounds cool.

I am not sure if this would cause problems, dampen or wet it.

You can engrave denim - in which case it burns off the top layer leaving a white pattern.
I used to buy those iron on denim patches to engrave. they could then be applied to what ever you could iron.

2 Likes

I have cut lots of fabric - some cotton and some fleece. Both cut well on lasers. I used the Zing yesterday to cut thin cotton … 100% speed, 25 - 27% power. Obviously you will need to change the settings for Thunder.

You will likely have to weight the edges because the fan blows it around. Unless your pieces are large you may want to consider “tabs” in the vectors, for two reasons. First, as the parts are cut they flap in the breeze and can catch on the head - and second, they sometimes blow away and get sucked into the fan.

@Hardsuit Paul’s suggestion of ironing onto freezer paper is a good idea.

2 Likes