Delta Table Saw: Height Adjust

I realize that there is a maintenance day this weekend- I hope to attend instead of just making suggestions for others. Luke and I inspected the Delta and where unable to address the height adjust issues. It got to the point where it appeared that we needed to remove the table top to get to the gear that we speculate is either worn out or just packed with years of grease, grime, and sawdust. Since neither of us where sure about this conclusion, we stopped; however, the issue has been on-going for numerous months.

If anyone has expertise with the Delta, I would be appreciative for either advice on how this needs to be serviced and/or for actual work. Currently it takes a ‘crazy’ amount of pressure to turn the wheel to adjust the blade height. This is far from ‘normal’ operation and I fear that ‘forcing’ the wheel is not a good idea; however, I watch people doing this on almost a daily basis. Last fall, cleaning the gears and spraying them helped for a few days, but now the issue doesn’t not seem to improve with normal cleaning and greasing.

The friction involved with the Delta is my number issue with the Delta, but if the Delta where to receive some ‘love’ the blade angle does not adjust to zero degrees. Although the Sawstop is a newer saw, some of us prefer the ‘old school’ Delta and the fact that it is our only saw with a Dado stack, it is my preferred table saw. It would be awesome if it could make the ‘list’ on ‘maintenance day’.

Thanks,

Joe King

1 Like

Is there a knack to that thing? Last time I tried to do it it took a hammer to get that wheel to budge (and yes it was unlocked) but that’s not practical for obvious reasons. I put all my strength in trying to turn that thing unassisted, to the point where I think I’ll hurt my back if I put more into it, and it just does not budge. But I’ve seen people get it up and down and I dunno how they do it.

I’m not Arnold or anything but still.

1 Like

I have cleaned it before using air without removing anything. I will check it out tonight while I am working on installing our bathroom stalls.

1 Like

I got into the machine today to take a look and there was wood shoved up in between the gears along with the gears being extremely dry. I got in and clean what I could up and the lubricated a little bit with some Grease. it helped make things move a little better but it still tries to lock up when going up.

It will need to actually have the top taken off the machine to be able to deep clean the gears and the area around the gears and then to lubricate it with a better and thicker Grease. The machine appears to not have been lubricated in quite a while.

5 Likes

I’d recommend reaching out to Greg Needel (@RoboGreg) for two good reasons: a) the saw is generously on loan from him, and b) he actually helped design it while working for Delta.

Unfortunately I’m not sure if he’s on Talk very often: perhaps another member knows a better way to get in touch with him.

2 Likes

Please stop putting grease in the delta. Grease and sawdust don’t mix. We have graphite powder for that. The gears being gummed up with grease and sawdust is part of the reason it’s so hard to turn. We are looking into the needed parts to get it fixed right.
Thanks
Mark

3 Likes

The gears were gummed up with Sawdust compacted in them prior to grease being placed on them as they were dry completely when I got to them. That is why I clean them before lubricating. Lithium grease is listed as one of the acceptable lubricants for Delta saws and as a matter of fact is listed on page 32 of the owners manual for the Delta Saw model we have.

I have no issue with leaving it to get fixed when it actually does get fixed however as of late complaints about the Delta saw have gone unanswered and unrepaired. What part is on order and what is the time estimate for it arriving?

We should have the physical manual in the filing cabinet iirc. I don’t know that it would have detailed info on taking the top off though. If someone wants to work on it before the cleanup day let me know and I’ll help

1 Like