Delegation of a few tasks - CA needs help

Hi. I’m going to try to delegate some of the work on hand to some of our millions of members. We always have a long to-do list and I feel like I haven’t been communicating some of it. Let’s see if this works.

1. I need someone to man the rebuild/reimagination of the silkscreen cart once the new cart is delivered as discussed here : I would like this cart but it's stupidly expensive - google skills needed
    Skills needed: woodworking or metal
    Needed by: ASAP
    Number of volunteers needed: two possibly three
    Budget: Hopefully as cheap as possible - possibly even made from scrap for close to free

2. Someone to paint and trim the CA room. I was unable to move the framing pieces at the time I painted (back issues) but we need someone to finish up the job. Paint gallon is in the Annex and additional painting supplies are in the janitors closet. The new “cutout” of the wall to house the darling printer needs flooring put down to look consistent. This is a simple stick and push process - extra flooring is in the annex and a razor to cut it is in the warehouse.
    Skills needed: Don’t be sloppy
    Needed by: Two weeks
    Number of volunteers needed: one

3. Someone to help finish out the annex exterior wall with the framing pieces. Dan brought in a cheap board to be screwed into the wall to “skin it” after that we need to affix frame pieces up the wall to as far as we can just like it was done below. Pieces need to be both construction adhesive glued and screwed into the wall - because they will be whole pieces and heavy. One way we could do it is affix the frame pieces on the board on the ground and lift the whole piece up as one.
    Skills needed: Woodshop basics, being on a ladder, screwing (hahaha - stupid - I’m like 5)
    Number of volunteers needed: three possibly four

4. I have dreams of signs I need built for both the CA room and the Annex. I can sketch them out I want each one to be distinctive to mark our area. I just need a few people to assist in the construction.
    Skills needed: CNC and possibly the plasma cutter
    Needed by: end of February
    Number of volunteers needed: unknown
    Sacrifices to the CA volcano: JJ, Adam

5. I bought 10 frames to fill with images from around CA - specifically capturing the tools, materials, and spirit of CA. I need high quality images to fill the frames. I also need a team to take apart the thrift store frames and spray paint them so they look a tad more presentable.
    Skills needed: Un-framing/matting some framed images, spray painting, photography
    Needed by: When the epson is fixed so mid-feb
    Number of volunteers needed: two to four-isa
    Peoples: JJ, Cindy

6. We have a very small tabletop vacuformer. To improve it’s functionality we bought a small heater and envisioned turning it into a small all in one unit. It fell far off the priority list and honestly, I forgot about it a bit. I need someone to facilitate building the unit. I don’t have a sketch but I could sketch it up after I take a look at it again.
    Skills needed: basic woodworking
    Number of volunteers needed: one but could be more
    Peeps: Mark

1 Like

I’m willing to help with 4 and/or 5. Can bring in my camera equipment for shots. We can chat about signs to decide CNC, Plasma, other process depending on sign

1 Like

Apologies on delay for #6. I delegated it to another member who has since left DMS so it went dormant.

I’ll work on that

1 Like

I can help with 5 in the unconstructing and repainting of 10 thrifted frames. I’ll do it these couple of weeks as I’m gone in February. They’ll be ready for the next round when I leave on Feb 8.

1. Where are the frames?

2. Matte black for a color?

3. Where do we have permission to spray paint stuff?

4. I’ll measure them up and determine if matting (if any) can be reused. I’ll leave a list of what’s ready to go with print sizes needed when I’m finished.

1. They were in the CA room right next to the flat file but I believe they’ve been moved probably to the other side. They wont be hard to find.
  2. Yes. They are just knocked around a bit and a fresh coat will return them to the motel frame glory they once were.
  3. In the back with tons of cardboard for a shelter. Permission? @Brandon_Green do you know?
  4. I bought 4 for myself at home and I was able to pry the mats off. It’s factory work so they just slapped some glue on (wasn’t easy but with my ninja skills and a butter knife I was able to do it without damaging it a whole bunch) I want to keep the mats because I believe a matted picture brings a bit of wham to the game.

I’ll be at the space Wed night talking about silkscreen with some people.

In the back - outside the building?

And yes, in general, matting is good. I’ve got a trusty razor blade in a holder I’ll bring to get me started.

I can assist with Plasma Cutting for #4

Ok sign one is going to go over the CA door - I will post some sketches in the morning I’m meeting with @macapaka tonight to finish out some finishing touches. I’m 95% sure we will need is something that will come out from the wall and be mildly ornamental. Nothing over the top. I’m sure it could be made via the laser, CNC or all sorts of other options. Would this task be something both of you are feeling ok with?

1 Like

I like it. Plasma cut the ornate metal coming out the wall with CNC wood sign would look great in my opinion.

1 Like

Haha … my first thought was Blacksmith for the wall hanger, Plasma for the hanging sign and Multicam or Laser for the lettering. That would look awesome!!!

This is a CA project. They should use their
Shapeoko or vinyl cutter! :slight_smile:

Spray painting must be done outside, using something to prevent painting the concrete

Ya I thought of that but for this piece (the metal piece at the top) It’s going to be larger - not crazy sized but still bigger.

Noooooo! For the lettering. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I pulled the tape off all ten frames today. Talk about a lesson in using the proper framing materials! But if you’ve already done two, you know what I mean.

Though I found a tool to use for the job, I did not lift the current pictures out of the frames. I’d like you to tell me where/how you think the very best place to store the glass while it’s out of the frame would be. I’m wondering if one of the bins in the annex would do the trick? Someplace where it won’t be moved until we put it all together again.

Oh lordy. I’m over my head with this crowd. There’s no such thing as a simple project, eh?

1 Like

:heart_eyes:sorry kiddo. I did four. They are interesting. The annex could be a safe place for the glass.

The ten photos will be square 18" square bleeds to fit a 17.5" square opening.

I haven’t messed with resolutions in ages, so I can’t even begin to suggest what type of equipment you’ll need to achieve that.

Shapeoko currently in a missing-fuse-induced coma.

Tanner Electronics is across the street.