Defining Selection Criteria for Office Chairs/Workshop Stools

For those who didn’t click through to Zach’s link, it’s a wooden library chair.

Before everyone rejects this idea … think about this. While those chairs may not be as comfortable on your bottom, when properly constructed they are good for your back. There are places (especially classrooms, IMO) where this might be a good option.

It’s the table vs. booth restaurant decision. People with bad backs can tell you that a chair is a better choice.

I think it should be one of the candidates that we try - but specifically in a classroom.

7 Likes

There should be some options, for both chairs and stools, that don’t roll. Some folks just don’t handle sitting on a moving target very well.

1 Like

If you guys want to tell Stan to go home after two hours, by all means, but I’d rather him have a comfortable chair.

As much as we want to gatekeep people who work for/at the makerspace, maker-ing isn’t just what you can do standing up.

5 Likes

I suggest that if we have a test sitting, we should prominently post (on each chair) the prices and the warranty periods. I can tell you that I will always prefer the $1000 chair over the $100 chair until I see the prices.

Let’s give people a chance to make good trade-offs by including this other information.

3 Likes

I agree. Maybe a fullish spec-sheet posted on them?

I also hinted at wooden chairs, albeit in the context of the workshop as an alternative to stools. I had not considered classrooms where they might be a good fit.

I’m OK with anything extra as long as it includes a large tag with at least price and warranty period.

Good thing we have folks that come to the space and work on projects for the space
or come and visit or spend time doing things r networking on projects They deal wit a lot of things So yall that only come to make something don t have to think about

They are the heart of DMS

Stan’s immense workload keeping DMS running smoothly is much appreciated and admired universally as far as I can tell. But his experience shouldn’t shape policy for mass chair purchases. I would vote in favor of having whatever chair Stan needs to do everything he does, but I still don’t see why we need to spend many thousands for chairs that make it more comfy to sit in the common room for hours. Not trying to be contrarian, just frugal.

3 Likes

I would too, but fortunately, we can’t pick and choose what members we play favorites with.

Neither am I, I’m just saying you have to consider what you are saying before you say it. You just told anyone who enjoys sitting at the makerspace (Stan included) that you don’t value their contributions. I’ve made contributions to the space while sitting in the common room (RFID software dev, ordering metals for the shop etc) and I would love to have a comfortable space to sit.

–comment amended in a later reply because it came off as too harsh.

Are we customers or members? most folks go t their gym only to work out
but if they are Members of a country club they will go play golf, or tennis eat a mean
visit with friends

Our members are also our staff Staff cant be just making their own project

If we only had makers, we would not need to expand We would be spending our money on staff
to do things that the seemingly despised folks that hang out do Lots less on tools

There I said it, flag away I am tired of ignoring the elephant in the room

Quite a leap there. Saying I don’t know it is in the best financial interests to spend thousands of dollars to make sitting multiple hours in the common room does not equal saying I don’t value someone’s contributions. I guess I’ll see my way out, by your logic it seems my questioning of fiscal responsibility is going to hurt too many feelings.

Hear hear!

This is my only gripe about the red chairs. Very hard to distribute my weight comfortably, for any amount of time.
They just drift back and I end up leaning more than I should.

3 Likes

I’ll correct that. You’ve said that you don’t value their contributions more than that of “thousands of dollars”.

I think that the break down between you and I is that I do value their contributions at more than “thousands of dollars” and I think that the best way to show that appreciation is to make them comfortable while they do it.

Now we just have to meet in the middle to establish a number of dollars per appreciation :slight_smile:

I try to be responsible with DMS’s money and that’s why I’m suggesting the sample route instead of purchasing however many of whatever chair we think is best. Maybe we find the $200 chair is better for us than the $750 chair, and since we only ordered a couple, we can save money in the long run.

2 Likes

I’ve never advocated for chairs that work just for me. I’ve always had the opinion that we should try a few different models and have them available for people to test before we spend $10k on them.

That said, I think wooden chairs might work nicely for classrooms, if we can find some that stack and are comfortable(ish).

3 Likes

Stacking would be an excellent feature.

1 Like

The main issue I have with the red chairs is the seat is so sculpted and dipped towards the back, with that front part higher, it is extremely uncomfortable to me for my body ergonomics. Then the back is super loose (lean) without major adjusting, which I dislike. More critically, my bad knee hurts because of that front under-pressure after maybe 20 minutes and will pay for that for hours if I stay in them.

(shrug) …So if I’m going to work in the common room for a few hours, usually doing my wire jewelry, I just go fetch one of the stackable black chairs from another room and return when I’m done.

Do I wish we had different chairs? Yeah, because they don’t fit me. BUT I also don’t think there’s a chair made that will make everyone happy.

I think they fit a reasonable number of folks and good grief the decision certainly got beaten to death (and is again) so it is what it is. I have non-average body ergonomics, so I didn’t participate much in the first round of drama since i already know I’m kinda fussy about chairs when buying one personally and finding “just right”. I had a Plan B (the black stackers) if I hated the red ones (yes, as it turns out) so I just do that.

I’m also kind of a believer that if you don’t participate and vote, shouldn’t complain later. I didn’t participate in first process, so haven’t said much other than quietly fetching a black chair to sit in. It’s all good. :slight_smile:

Soooo…now that we’re here again, my opinion:

I think original criteria is good.

I’d like flatter, more lightly sculpted seats rather than that deeper dip the red ones have. Size of seat aside (I’ve seen comments for bigger chairs), I’m fine with the size and the weight criteria is reasonable. It’s the deeper sculpting that affects me personally in a negative way.

And most importantly, I’d love us to have samples of top contenders that meet criteria to test-drive before final large buy

7 Likes

The red chairs may possibly have caused some of my current back pain. (after having to wait for long periods for some prints to finish)

That being said, Wooden chairs with castors can be very comfortable. Metal ones can also be good. The chairs should have a full back instead of a 1/2 back.

I know that DMS can get a bunch of chairs in a hurry from Grainger. Most, if not all, are reasonably priced. (and I do believe we have an account with them)

2 Likes

These are two chairs worth looking at:

Herman Miller Mirra 2:
http://store.hermanmiller.com/office/office-chairs/mirra-2-task-chair/1453.html?lang=en_US&

This chair is as comfortable as the Aeron chair but with a flexible plastic back. Given the materials used it should be more durable than a standard Aeron.

Criteria check list:

• Supports 300 lbs.

• Check, 350lbs
  • Stain and odor resistant

• Check, Plastic back and mesh seat
  • Designed for high comfort in a work environment

• Yep, I have sat in one and it is extremely similar the the Aeron
  • Back support to reduce strain and fatigue

• Lumbar support option available
  • High durability with warranty

• 12 year mechanical, 5 years on the mesh

Retail Cost: ~$750

Steelcase Codi:

I can not speak to the comfort of this chair but they look comfy. The flexible plastic back with mesh will be durable and easy to clean while the foam/cloth seat should feel nice on our rumps. A bonus of these chairs is they come in a bunch of configurations so we could tune it to fit our needs.

Criteria check list:

• Supports 300 lbs.

• Check, 300lbs
  • Stain and odor resistant

• Check, Plastic and mesh back and foam/cloth seat
  • Designed for high comfort in a work environment

• I can not speak to this directly, but it is designed as an office chair.
  • Back support to reduce strain and fatigue

• Nothing extra available, but the mesh should do a great job at supporting our backs
  • High durability with warranty

• Lifetime mechanical, 12 years on the moving parts and upholstery

Retail cost: ~$500

2 Likes

These appear to be designed for the same type usage as the herman miller chairs we have. Key words…“conference and meeting rooms” imply not sitting in them very long. Also, “collaborative seating” implies of moving around, rolling to and from in the area as you work with various people and not sitting at a desk or stationary for a long time. We certainly have areas where that will apply, but not so much in the computer room where folks will sit for several hours at their PC. Steelcase has great products and I’m sure these are quality, the key is placing them in the appropriate work environment.