Defeating start-stop

None of the Big Three or major Japanese automakers considers a vehicle lifespan of under 15 years and 150,000k acceptable. Most are higher (much higher, especially for rust).

I actually feel like vehicles are built so much more reliably than they were even a decade ago. The reporting and data collection that the companies started -collecting data on each breakdown and repair- has paid dividends now in seeing high failure components re-engineered to meet more difficult conditions.

Likewise- the autostart stop cars have starters that are first and foremost- bigger and beefier than a standard one. If you drive one of these cars, it’s pretty impressive how quickly it turns over.

I see comments mentioning the cost of batteries, and this start/stop technology- which is interesting because they aren’t usually found in the same car. I get the feeling a lot of people in here haven’t bought a new car in the past decade. It’s worth taking a look- I care less if you buy one or not- that’s your pergotive- but I had the unfortunate pleasure to do so just about a year ago - and I was blown away at how much technology in the auto space has changed. I was so used to it being a very slow process. Now year to year the tech packages grow with generational improvements each year.

This is the real way we’ll get auto driving car- Incrementally. My new car has a slew of features I never thought I wanted but now can’t live without. I ended up not buying new- I bought used- but it’s much more reliable than any prior car I’ve had. My 0.02cents worth anyway.

I like all the new technology in the automotive space. It’s been an industry that was reluctant to innovate for years- very conservative. But now I can take my hands off the wheel and close my eyes and my cAr will not veer off the road or hit the car in front of it. It’s not a self driving car. It’s just a run of the mill luxury crossover. But it’s probably saved my butt a time or two already. The gas mileage is better but still not great, and it’s quiter with much much more pickup, even though the engine has half the displacement. So, even though it doesn’t sound like much it’s got some kick to it (probably more from the transmission than anything).

Wait until something fails and see if you like the $$$ attached to the repair quote. Why do I need the equivalent of an iPad to control my climate control system?

Engineering the Darwin Factor out of driving gives more free time to drivers for the latte in the left hand and Facebook on the right hand. Or is that Snapchat now? I’m not “in the know” anymore…

Reading these takes me back to the times I had to drive a (stick shift) car where the clutch failed (or I just wanted to practice.) With a cold car, get into neutral to get the engine warmed up. Kill the engine and push into 1st. Start the engine, not much gas but enough to keep moving. Double clutch or adjust the gas with synchromesh to move up through the gears. At a stop light or stop sign, drop out to neutral (left foot on the brake) and kill the engine, pushing into gear for starting as it dies. Start the car in gear with almost no gas as it is hot and continue merrily shifting.
If a robot is managing this I would expect that restarting a hot engine without pumping the gas pedal as human drivers often do, would save more than a couple of percent gas as well as idling pollution.