Deepnest.io automatic nesting

https://deepnest.io/

Free auto nesting tool for laser cutting also does common lines.

I want to compare this to the fusion 360 nesting plug-ins and Vcarve nesting.

2 Likes

Hey Mitch,

Here is a problem I’ve run into in production using these.

I’ve played with a few of these options for print nesting as well as laser and router cut nesting. While very good for nesting the same item multiple times as tight as possible. When doing more complex work I’ve found the labor costs post sorting items out of the mess of objects is often more expensive than the savings on material cost.

Example:
I tried a sign like the example on the site. I even etched the locations of each letter on the board. But a 3 sentence poster was like a puzzle to rebuild this way. But, when I wasted more material and cut the words in the position they were in, I used more material but finished the sign in fractions of the time. I was costing out $25 an hour for labor on this job and after doing the math, I saved about 9 hours in labor but wasting more material. To total cost of material for the job was $565 nesting and $680 without nesting. So even with the small word count it was largely faster and more cost effective to use a fair bit more material.

This may be a trait to think about in your analysis, some programs allow for grouping items for this reasoning.

1 Like

You have a very valid point. I think if you were doing part production it would be helpful since it’s not space-dependent like letters. Most CNC customers I worked with would just end up nesting identical parts on a sheet and have to manually nest them to get them tighter. The common line nesting should have been in every nesting program, compensating for kerf.

1 Like