December 2017 Kiln News

I’ve been back and forth on the cookie idea for a bit and I’m very strongly considering it when we get new shelves. We’ve definitely been talking about requiring it for individual firings just to save everyone the headache/cost. This past firing had zero hold and we still had a significant runner that would have run to shelf even if on a stilt.

I would encourage anyone that is trying a new glaze or layering new glazes to either make a test tile or to stilt/glaze tray your piece. Even if you have used a combination before, err on the side of caution if you have glazed heavily. Runny, fluxing glazes are lovely but can go south very quickly.

The real issue here is a lack of glazing knowledge. (I know I still have the occasional unexpected result myself which is why I love the pedestal glaze tray of safety!) Starting with the basics, nearly every time I’ve loaded there have been pieces with glaze on the bottom. I’m hoping that once we have the makers mark log running we’ll be able to contact people that are having trouble and talk more in depth about technique. Requiring cookies will save the shelves, teaching the makers will save the pieces.

1 Like

Also, I love the idea of a mass production cookie day! I’ll bring some edible ones and we can slab roll our hearts out to make the clay ones.

Let’s look at January after the holidays.

Loaded up the big kiln with glaze. Whew! There is quite a bit left. I’m thinking that I’ll load glaze again as soon as this is completely done. In the meantime, I’m planning to load the little kiln with bisque tomorrow. There isn’t a huge amount, but that’ll get that rolling, and I’ll put the last rack of the tiny ornaments in that.

I noticed that the big kiln was a bit close to the plug. There should be a 12" spacing between the kiln and the plug. I proved this last year with the little kiln. Stan asked me how I managed to pop a 50 amp breaker…

3 Likes

Good Morning,

With so much firing going on, I’m guessing a lot is gifts and decorations. Please let me know if I can assist.

Anita

1 Like

Glaze kiln unloaded last night. Everything looked fabulous. One smaller piece ran so much that it ran completely down the bit I’d set it on to the shelf. Fortunately it didn’t run quite enough for the glaze to stick to the shelf – it just picked up some kiln wash. Might have a drip or so from some of the bigger pieces.

Going forth to load bisque. I’ll load up the rest of the glaze tonight.

2 Likes

I swung by and fixed 3 kiln shelves - both bottom ones plus the one that had the glaze run. I was able to chip off all the drips and runs without resorting to my dremel. I reapplied kiln wash and placed them back by the kilns to dry. I wasn’t able to stick around until they fully dried or help them along with a heat gun. They should be fully dry and usable before too long.

I did grab a fourth shelf to bring home to repair. It had several glaze run rings on it and kiln wash had been applied over the glaze spots. While the effort to fix the shelf is super appreciated, this isn’t the proper way to get the shelf back to a usable state.

To repair a shelf, all glaze needs to be removed. The more stubborn runs need grinding with a diamond bit. Kiln wash is applied once the shelf is glaze free. Leaving the glaze on and just covering it will result in 2 issues - 1. the glaze can come up out of the kiln wash as it’s fired and 2. the glaze will penetrate deeper into the shelf with each firing and eventually bond permanently with the shelf. This weakens the shelf and can result in cracking and breakage at some point. Also, the more it’s fired, the harder the glaze gets. It can get hard enough that attempting to grind the glaze off with a diamond coated bit becomes nearly impossible.

I was able to chip off some of the glaze on the fourth shelf, but there’s parts that need to be ground. We do have several shelves where there are permanent glaze rings permeating deep into the shelf. When we did the initial shelf cleaning and repair we declared several shelves as unfixable because of this. These are kept in a particular spot and the firing team knows not to use them.

A few of our shelves we ground down as deep as we were willing to risk, then did heavy layering of kiln wash to cover what we could in an effort to salvage a usable shelf. We opted to do this so we could have enough shelves to fire with until we get replacements. We watch those spots and apply kiln wash as needed to keep pieces safe. This shelf may be one of non-useable ones or had preexisting permanent glaze rings. I’ll know more once I start grinding in the next few days. If the glaze runs are new, I should be able to get them taken care of. If they’re older runs, I’ll do what I can to get it back to a usable state or declare it dead and place it with the others.

The last thing I grabbed was a small post with quite a bit of glaze run on it. I was able to chip off about 1/3 of the run and should be able to grind the rest off. I’ll get the post and shelf back up to the space in a few days.

2 Likes

Did glaze get loaded last night?

Alas, no. I spazzed and forgot. I’ve loaded it earlier this afternoon. Carl happened, so I didn’t get the genie bottle in. Got both bowls, though.

Bisque will definitely be ready to unload tonight. It was at 140F an hour ago, and I’ve already taken one piece out.

I’m thinking that will be Sunday before the glaze is ready to unload. Folks who need stuff can contact me and we’ll see if it’s cool enough to take a thing or two out. I put the last ornaments on the top so that they’ll be easy to get to without having to take out a hot shelf.

Glaze is down to 462. Let me know if you’re desperate for something… otherwise I’ll unload tomorrow afternoon.

1 Like