December 2017 Kiln News

Loaded up a glaze kiln. Not enough room for everything, naturally.

2 pieces had too much glaze on the bottom. Those 2 (a bowl and a face-thing with drain holes) are currently sitting upside down at the front of the glaze shelves. I’ll put a note on them tomorrow.

As soon as the glaze comes out, I’ll run another bisque. Depending on how quick y’all are, there will be another glaze kiln immediately following that.

Oh, and I realized that if those little ornaments on the pendant trees are glazed with Stroke-and-Coats, I can run them in with the bisque. You’ll get brighter colors, although the ornaments will remain at a bisque level (they won’t vitrify to stoneware). For ornaments, that shouldn’t be an issue. Bisque is probably sturdier than the normal ornament, anyway.

4 Likes

Loaded up bisque. There is a boatload left, so I’ll be loaded the small kiln with another bisque load tomorrow. There will be a glaze kiln run this week – not sure if it’ll be the big or the little kiln, as the glaze shelf is currently a bit slim.

I put one rack of the Stroke & Coat glazed ornaments in with the bisque.

1 Like

Bisque unloaded.

@elizabeth2010, your wire made it through just fine. Some of your pieces stuck, let us know if you need help with those.

1 Like

Loaded up another bisque to get the pots from the geometric class, and @meanbaby’s 2 lidded pots done. Due to the large size of the items loaded, there is still nearly another kiln’s worth on the shelves.

1 Like

Wow, that really fast timing to get the geo pots fired :open_mouth:

2 Likes

They are class pieces with a tight window for the follow-up glaze class.

Thank you for the work you do. I always see the kiln updates, and just want you to know that’s it is appreciated.

3 Likes

Bisque unloaded, everything looks good.

Polyhedral bowls are up top and will be at the glaze class if you are registered for it.

3 Likes

Yeah – we should probably put that on as an agenda item next meeting. Given that the pots were barely dry, I’m thinking that time-frame should’ve been longer. I get that some folks want a quick turn-around, but they need to understand the general flow of pottery.

2 Likes

Loaded up the big kiln with bisque again. It’s running.

I’ve loaded the small kiln with glaze and set the programming (and checked it twice) for @cmcooper0 to hit the button once the big kiln is done. The kilns are on separate circuits, but that’d be a boatload of heat back there all at once.

Got all the stuff in for the bisque kiln. People were working as I left, though…

I also pretty well emptied the glaze shelf too. Enough people were glazing that we’ll probably be able to load the big kiln with glazed items Monday or Tuesday. The 2nd rack of tiny ornaments is still left. I’ll probably fire Cone 04 to get a bit more bisque and those ornaments. I’m hoping they come through and make sure the ornaments are better separated before it goes in the kiln, though.

1 Like

I’m confused. These pieces were discussed at the committee meeting earlier this week. I was under the impression you were ok firing these in the time frame required with the needed presoak/candling time. You mentioned specifically during the meeting you would be running these with a presoak so I assumed there was no issue. If you had an issue doing these, I wish you would have discussed it with me during the meeting so we could clear up any concerns then.

I don’t see an issue with the turn around time I needed on these. Jason and I planned the timing of our classes together weeks ago. Our biggest constraints were coordinating our teaching availability plus allowing time for the pieces coming out of my glaze class to be finished and available by Christmas. We allowed as much time between the two classes as we could. We knew it would be close and were both comfortable the bowls would survive just fine and not be a danger to other pieces. We double checked this with Christy including her availability to prep and fire the pieces as well as the proposed modifications to our standard firing protocol these needed to go through. She didn’t see an issue with it either.

We were aware the firing time was going to be unusual for the way FA usually does things, however, it is not unheard of to safely do extremely quick turn arounds like this. It’s standard practice for some artisans, particularly high production ones. The pieces were checked on before the meeting and as expected, it was determined they were dry enough to fire with just the added presoak. They came out just fine. The glaze class went really well. Almost half the class was made up of polyhedral bowl students and I’m ecstatic they had the opportunity to participate. Thank you for getting the pieces fired for them.

I intend to offer the glaze basics class on a regular basis as my schedule allows. Chances are good a quick turn around for firing class pieces will be needed again. So yes, let’s absolutely put this on the agenda for the next meeting. In the meantime, how about we discuss this next time we’re both up at DMS? I’d love the opportunity to hear your concerns surrounding drying stage for firings and address those in person.

1 Like

Good Morning,

There has been a large volume of firing going on due Christmas/ classes. Thank you Beth for your time and trying to meet everyone needs.

Anita

6 Likes

So true! Really appreciate Beth’s work and dedication to fired arts.

3 Likes

I would like for us to all be more supportive towards makers, class instructors and those that are firing/loading/unloading. There are a lot of decisions that go into every part of the process and asking about it (rather than assuming) before offering critical commentary will increase our communication and prevent bad feelings all around.

In positive kiln news: I went up this morning to fire off the glaze kiln and will possibly be able to unload bisque late this evening post Board meeting. If not, I’ll do it early on Saturday so they are out for weekend folks to pick up.

4 Likes

Bisque unloaded and the shelves are chock full of groovy things.

1 Like

Glaze unloaded, new glaze load firing.

2 Likes

Oi at all the glaze needing fired, looked like a couple of loads last night.

My glazed items on the cart is also ready for glaze firing. please reuse my bed of nails on the things on the cart. I would love all of it fired but, time is running out. the things on the firing shelf were most important. There was no room on the shelf so the less important glazed things are they on the cart.

Thank you for firing cmcooper0

1 Like

Yeah – there’s enough that I’ll load as soon as my 2 little pieces (that I’m glazing now) are dry. Tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

The glaze is unloaded. There was a bit of running on a few pieces. Most of it was caught with some stilts that were placed under the pieces. I removed all of the stilts I could. A few pieces were really stuck so I left those. They should be removable with a bit more force than I was willing to do by hand. One may need some mechanical intervention.

One piece ran onto the shelf. Most of it I was able to pop off, however, some of the glaze was adhered pretty well and will either need to be chipped or ground off. Please do not fire this shelf again until the glaze can be fully removed. Unless someone beats me to it, I’ll try and come by after work Tuesday to fix the shelf. It may be late Wednesday afternoon before I can get to it. I noticed a few spots on the very bottom shelves that also need to be cleaned up. I can take care of those too if they are available.

Just a thought after reading Shirley’s above post. This is the first location that I have been to that a kiln washed cookie are not used on every item to protect the shelf’s.

Perhaps we should use the some of the free clay or scraps to have a mass produce Cookie make day?

The items I had on the glaze shelf were the need now, They had the bed of nails/ lifts under them. please reuse the nails on the items on the cart after the others are done.

Thank you for doing the firing!

3 Likes