Dear 2018 I would like to learn.......(insert words here)

“Ain’t talkin’, just walkin’/ Up the road, around the bend/ Heart burnin’, still yearnin’/ In the last outback at the world’s end"

In this post please put the top three things you would like to teach yourself/learn this year.

How to fire breathe (still)
Poloniex trading
Better my drawing skillz

What 'bout you?

4 Likes

How to successfully pick my 6 winning Lotto numbers
How to sew heavier materials /patterns/piping - upholstery ish work
How to sail

7 Likes

(1) Not to get dragged into contentious arguments on Talk
(2) Enough 3D CAD modeling that I could use some of the cool tools on which I have been trained
(3) The bare minimum of the dark arts of electronics and microprocessor control so that I could engineer and program a cluster of 1000 individually addressable LEDs. (yes, this is where the term Cluster-Futz originates …)

12 Likes

(1) intermediate and advanced printmaking techniques (yeah to Astrud, Paul and John!)
(2) leather craft
(3) Illustrator

4 Likes
  1. Master 3d printing.
  2. Micro controller programming.
  3. Printmaking.
1 Like
  1. how to throw clay
  2. inkscape and other programs I need to use the CNC machines
  3. How to improve the skills I need to deal with my vision issues
2 Likes
  1. Lathe
  2. Ditto microprocessor basic robotics Arsuino for noobs things
  3. What age my kid(s) will be and what color they want their rooms #adoption
5 Likes
  1. MIG Welding
  2. Stick Welding
3 Likes
  1. Learn laser cutting and get proficient at it.

2. Make more woodcrafts & turn my first bowls.

3. Master the art of making fire using only a wood bow drill and wood shavings.

1 Like
  1. Develop database driven app

2. Networking principles

3. General software programming

4. What marketing techniques are working for other business owners

5. How to take people with long beards seriously

ALSO: Teach at DMS at least 4 times in 2018

9 Likes

Lol at the long beards…

2 Likes

The book for drawing:

https://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Right-Side-Brain-Definitive/dp/1585429201/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514596544&sr=8-1&keywords=drawing+on+the+right+side+of+the+brain

2 Likes

Develop database driven app - I’ll be glad to teach this one as a one on one if your up for it.

Networking principles - Join the next CTF, we’re covering how 802.11 works (unless your meaning business networking then that’s more Code 'n Coffee)

General software programming - Python, Javascript classes are on the calendar,

2 Likes

Not much as to learn just wrap up or take the exams for certs/licences on

1. Day Trading
  2. Finish BA in Business Management
  3. Getting my licences in FCC HAM, ASA Sailing, and FAA Part 107
  4. Electrical Engineering with 6502, zilog 80, and FPGA programming
  1. enjoy life…
7 Likes

@John_Marlow @sbwart @accesscontrolexpert You mentioned microcontrollers or programming. I have Arduino related classes listed for January 4 (currently full), 11 and 18. Beginners in electronics and programming are welcome and I furnish everything except a laptop and smart phone or tablet. I discuss a slides with program segments to introduce concepts but do not teach programming. I encourage you to consider these as well as classes by @denzuko, @bill and others.

My career started as a programmer in '68 and drifted back and forth through quite a few job descriptions. I always enjoyed programming and system admin best.

4 Likes

Re Sailing:
I owned a few sail boats, and spent several years sailing with the great folks at the Grapevine Sailing Club. It is a wonderous, welcoming community. They host a Learn to Sail program in the summer, always welcome new folks on their boats (bring sailing gloves and beer), have socials and ~40 sailing events a year (social cruises, rec sailing competitions, and regattas).

Think of it as our MakerSpace Community, with more volunteers, adventure and celebration.
@TLAR @denzuko

4 Likes
  1. I just want to get better at the stuff I know.
  2. Learn to be a better person
  3. Time travel
1 Like

Time travel would certainly help with the winning lottery numbers !

3 Likes
  1. Complete the Ruby/Rails/React curriculum as taught by @Kirk_Keeter .
  2. Learn to add strip LED backlighting to shadowbox laser creations.
  3. Learn laser block printing from @Hardsuit and Astrud.