Dead blow hammers

Are there any dead blow hammers around there? A friend suggested using them with leatherworking tools for punching through really thick leather.

We have a number of them throughout the shop. They are the “hard plastic” hammers, not rubber, next to Auto where the Ryobi (sp) tools are. If it works, we can get one really easy and cheap.

I’d be worried that the narrow tops of leather punches would dig into the deadblow hammer’s face.

The one that was being recommeneded has replaceable nylon faces, which I thought was interesting. But yeah, good point if these are rubber caoted…might try the feel just hitting the plate steel…

I’ve not seen dead-blow hammers with nylon heads at the Space. The plastic in the ones we have are softer than the light weigh hard yellow hammers/mallets leather shop has.

Found one on Amazon - can’t copy link on phone. Will append to this and if you like we can get our Surpreme Leader @uglyknees to order. About $15.

Test them out and let us know ok

@bitta Not sure how heavy a hammer you need
The $15 hammers are Nylon faced but not dead blows. True Dead Blow hammers with nylon heads are $30+ Dead Blow with Nylon face or 1.5 lb nylon faced hammer, not dead blow but cheaper

Yeah, I have a couple of nylon head hammers…not as much bounce back as a poly mallet, but still some. The Thor dead blow was the one recommended.

If you want a true dead blow to avoid the bounce, you need a dead blow not just a nylon headed hammer. Few bucks more but a different beast. They tend to also be heavier.

My opinion worth what was paid for it - I’d get the dead blow.

hey bitta, i sent you a message a couple days ago. it was the second message ive sent on here so im not sure if it went thru or messed up somehow. just writing this in the forum cause im pretty sure youll be able to see it