Day dreaming about 3d printers

just day dreaming. wishing we had one of these… (wink wink) https://markforged.com/metal-x/?mfa=ytb-na-tof-metal_customintent&adg=77431617976&kw=&device=c&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7Nj5BRCZARIsABwxDKKE7RUU15RMC8VlScLvoVXR6x8E0VLv4oPGmuT1gDeSoGXaChl-7HQaAmazEALw_wcB

Would it be nice? ABSOLUTELY. But as I understand it, we had similar donated at one time and the metal powder was difficult to deal with. What about investment casting or sand casting parts?

Theoretically we could form a casting / foundry sig under blacksmithing… there’s some big safety concerns with doing pours though.

Ultimately, you’ll never get anywhere near the quality of 3D printed with a cast part. Of course, most people here won’t use the quality difference anyway.

There have been sand casting classes previously and jewelry/soft metals do small scale investment casting already.

1 Like

We had a Sinterit Lisa, which is a plastic machine (SLS) and the powder with them is generally a pain to deal with.

The Metal X uses filament with a large percentage of metal and a polymer binder (ADAM) which is then washed out and the metal sintered in post processing steps.

1 Like

Ahhh ok so it’s more similar to Precious Metal Clay. PMC is metal in a binder that can be worked like clay then fired. Once fired it sinters the metal and burns off binder. It’s how I did my ex-girlfriend’s engagement ring.

I wasn’t here for the sinterit just have read the threads on what a pain it was.

Been there, done that.

1 Like

Well, we had I potential sintering furnace that has come up for donation, however due to the shear size & power requirements, its problematic to get.

Metal 3D printers (binder FDM ect) is really expensive because of the sintering oven (requires innert gasses and stuff) also the printers handle brittle filament or rod, second extruder for support material, then the debinding.

I am sad about the SinterIt Lisa but yes that was for sintered powder nylon PA6 or PA12.

It’s the issue that we as a makerspace can’t handle expensive machines that involve lots of post-processing (Form 2, NextEngine Scanner)