Data Acquisition

Hi I am part of the Dallas Formula Racing Team here at UTD and had a question about data acquisition and how to read data that can be useful to either tune or design a car

Wow…talk about an open ended question!
Might start w/ breaking the cars various performance designs into functional blocks - engine/motor performance, suspension, aero, etc. Organizing your data along w /the conditions it was gathered under is critical. Ambient temp, humidity, weight of the driver, etc. Details matter. Limit the the of number things being tweaked on any given test run. Learn/study how things interact. You’re going to be gathering a lot of data - so figuring out how to organize, store, retrieve, study up front will save a lot of grief and time later.

If you can, study the papers and presentations of the top teams from previous competitions.

Take a look at automotive data logging systems. AEM Electronics comes to mind -
https://www.aemelectronics.com/

Been a while since I subscribed - Race Car Enegineering - A UK mag, had a section where channels of data were presented and the reader was challenged to figure out what the car/driver were doing.

I’d start with a Raspberry Pi but good luck finding one right now.

Does it need to be live data or is capture good enough? I have a OBD-II reader that can capture various aspects and export to CSV for later analysis.

My suggestion is your too early to talk about hardware.

You need to define the problem you have?

Identify the data elements you need to answer the problem above.

Once you have the elements you are trying to collect you can have a meaningful conversation here.

2 Likes

First off- Welcome!

Second, are you interested in joining the Motorsports team? You should come out to the space Thursday evening at 7pm and meet the crew/learn more about us. We are always interested in new members and can offer quite a lot as far as getting experience and learning new skills!

2 Likes