Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - October 2019

What and where was the exhibit?

They look amazing!

Super excited about our class next weekend (can you tell itā€™s my first? :smile:)
We made this tonight at the space as a prototype/example.

16 Likes

holy cow. how long was that print? ages im guessing.

It was a small ceramics show. Iā€™m sure they would love to get more entries next year! :slight_smile:

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/ceramics-show-october-18-19/

2 Likes

Made this little pendant in Anitaā€™s @meanbaby glass class. Sorry I canā€™t recall the name of the class but we made this in the microwave using a fancy kiln. Glued the hanger on and I bought the silver neck ring thing at Michaelā€™s. Thanks again Anita.

CC @Lordrook

13 Likes

It looks beautiful! I rarely get to see the pieces assembled, Thank you!

Wow that is beautiful! What did you attach it to the wall with?

Is this for slip casting?

1 Like

Hi Toussant, if you are talking about the tiki glass. Yes! Johnny managed to make a slip mold of it, we are testing it now.

1 Like

Nice job! Mark is an amazing teacher and has always been generous with his time.

1 Like

I was, thanks for responding. I was wondering why the slip well at the top was made inside the rim of the cup. I always prefer having a wider well than rim to make cutting the extra off easier, but thereā€™s probably other ways of cutting the extra clay off. Is there an easy way to get an even rim even when the well is narrow?

Hm, not sure what you mean, just put a cup at the top to keep the plaster out, seems to have worked ok.

I mean when actually casting with the mold. Thereā€™s the extra bit of clay at the top that gets removed. How do you do that easily when the well is inside the lip?

Oh, usually cut it off with an exacto and smooth it with a damp sponge.

The inner well makes for a clean lip on the outside and nice round circle on the inside, if cut using that as a guide.

Someone busted the lip on mine last night :sob:guna need a fresh one when ya get a chance. :pray:t3:

Ok, Iā€™m hoping to be able to do some slip casting on tuesday.

The rolling pin was a 99 cent thrift store find. I decided to use it for some rotary work and add a pattern. While engraved pins arenā€™t new, what you normally find are laser engraved rollers where the pattern goes into the wood. This was 3d engraved so that the pattern is UP. cheers!

IMG_2501
create everyday.

12 Likes

Is the rotary for the laser working now??? I have been wanting to do the same thing!!!

there is no update that says it is. this was done on my 4th axis for my cnc.

1 Like