Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - October 2019

Say Yes to the dress. I love doing line work. It’s very minimalist yet still paints a big picture. 4x6" on mesquite. New work is going to slow me down a bit but I’ll be back with more soon. Cheers!

Create everyday.

9 Likes

Chainmaille class last Friday plus my wire scorpion [yay, youtube]
I had a hard time deciding on what colors to use for joining the two strands, so I made my own rings out of wire from a multi-color pack I bought. Copper joiners on one side and dark red on the other [since it’s reversible.]
I also designed a spinner connector so I could just swivel the scorpion when I change which side of the necklace is facing out.

18 Likes

Fabulous!!! I love the design. Can’t wait 'til you are teaching classes!

1 Like

Very nice! Reminds me of the time I made Halloween gravestones out of glued up cardboard painted with faux stone spray paint.

Finished zipping it together. Was inspired by @Sarah_Hustwit to get it completed before I forgot how. Thanks again to @Just_Me for her time teaching such an interesting pattern and the effort in putting together the class.

10 Likes

Made a knife with my son for his 18th birthday. Old 1075 CR1 saw blade and zebrawood handle.

Huge thanks to @Kriskat30 and @Troy_Barrios for all your help!

27 Likes

Hey there!!, Todd Burnside from the space.

So I made this at the house but I used what I learned in the resin pour class from @Kriskat30. This started as a 5mm piece of 4x8 plywood. I wanted to make an “accent wall” without doing the same old painted walls you see in most houses. I ran across one HUGE problem while making this. I cut small pieces of wood so the resin could flow off onto the drop cloth and contain the mess…Well I made the pieces of wood way to short and effectively epoxied the pieces of wood to the drop cloth. This made for two days with an oscillating tool cutting them off.

For reference that is a 65 inch tv so this is a big piece. Thanks again to @Kriskat30 for the inspiration and instruction!!!

32 Likes

I made a feather flag for tour night!
And it only took about four months to happen… the concept germinated after many Thursday tour nights prior to the official relocation of the lobby, finding bewildered visitors clustered at the “new” lobby door, unable to get in.

One day, perusing the weekly selection of cast-offs at the UNT Salvage Sale, I discovered a cache of feather flag hardware being sold for a decent (cheap) price. I went online and found a downloadable artwork diagram that I figured I could use as a pattern and bought some parachute-type nylon at Joann’s. Then, progress slowed down, as I weighed the options for getting the text onto the fabric. Applique? Printing? Vinyl? I went to visit my peeps at the Garland ISD Printing Services Dept. We decided to see what would happen using their big flatbed inkjet printer. I cut off a sample of the fabric, and we let ‘er rip. It worked well enough, but we agreed that a better vacuum seal would be better. Then, I got sucked into the vortex of getting the sewing room set up and other CA honey-do’s, and the flag moved to a back burner.

In early September, I got back to the project at hand. We used double-stick tape to attach the fabric to foam core, and did the printing. Then, they printed out the pattern for me. I unfurled the whole ping pong cutting table, and set to work. The red stripe at the bottom was incorporated to makeup for the printed portion being too short. (Flatbed printer had limits). I ironed some fusible interfacing to the back of panels to try to make them a bit more opaque. Iron was a bit too hot, so the fabric melted/shrunk a bit. But I forged ahead. I did the first part of sewing on one of the DMS Babylock Zest sewing machines (stitched like a champ!) the black tube for the vertical rod was made at a sewing retreat I went on later that week. That was actually done TWICE, as I under-estimated the width needed to accommodate the pole. But persevered.

Then, I discovered that there needed to be some sort of tension added to keep the flag flexed properly. I’d pass feather flags on the street and slow down to glimpse the setup.

Last night, @MizGeek and @talkers helped me put a grommet at the bottom, and @apparently_weird and @CaryF300 helped me install it for its maiden “tour night” voyage.

39 Likes

It was fabulous and will be a welcomed addition to future tour nights! Thank you so much once again ma’am!

2 Likes

You rock Judy! thanks for doing that!

1 Like

It is beautiful! It will greatly increase visibility.

1 Like

The billy goat on the dandelion side of the mountain.

Heat transfer vinyl is so fun. I do shirts, along with glitter vinyl that can be sublimated on. Have also done bags, hats, and yesterday helped a friend put it on the sides of leggings.

1 Like

Made a spooky Halloween heat transfer vinyl shirt with white glitter vinyl, turned out so cool!

13 Likes

@sbarton made these mugs in dye sub with designs I created for the purpose. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Some bags were made!

Wayne wanted three huge bags made for some big theatrical fabric things. He has this bolt of 6 foot wide theater canvas. It became a group project. @Print_Witch helped me wrestle the huge bolt and cut three 11 foot sections.

@jrkriehn brought her fabulous Bernina in and sewed most of the bags.

@jrkriehn and @BarkingChicken helped put the logo on the bags (which I don’t have a photo of at the moment).

I couldn’t have done it without you guys. Thank you!

To thank us, Wayne threw a hunk of beef in the oven and I’ll be bringing chopped beef sandwiches for the Creative Arts Studio Warming.

15 Likes

Got our coin ring things playing nice finally :sunglasses: classes incoming :+1:t3:

26 Likes

superb! sign me up

2 Likes

“Sound Waves” Last nights light painting
Hope to teach a class on this in the future.

13 Likes

Halloween bottle openers. Plasma cut and then forged to round them out a bit.

Tried two thicknesses of steel: both seem to work.

19 Likes