Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - October 2018

Bubinga and Wood Laminate pen.

Spalted Maple Celtic Knot pen.

18 Likes

Tested the CNC Plasma with copper. Thanks to @richmeyer for the donation to the cause for the testing.

18 Likes

silver and onyx pendant from Anne’s jewelry class.

22 Likes

Christmas earrings in the Thunder Laser 205 class with @talkers teaching

21 Likes

The earring packaging was made on the laser correct? The earnings themselves weren’t cut on the laser correct?

1 Like

I think the tree earrings were cut on the laser out of mirrored acrylic.

3 Likes

Yep everything was cut on the laser, that was some scrap that John had acquired.

1 Like

Ok. Super cool thanks for the correction.

Some amazing work man. Do you work at one of those escape room companies? I’ve done the escape room a time or two and they are pretty amazing.

Very cool. What kind of burl? What are the things that look like birds flying?

Its maple burl, and the small flying objects are Bats (it was a glitter I picked up).

I work with a number of escape rooms around the area. Most of those project sadly went to one that ended up closing down, but I’m working on some projects now for other companies. I’ll post some more as it’s done (at least for the ones who allow me)

Box for my upcoming wedding - black walnut & purpleheart, with a crushed amethyst inlay and nickel/silver hardware. Top has a slot to accept cards at the reception, going to cover with an engraved plaque after, and she will use it to store all the mementos like invites, menu, photos, etc.

27 Likes

I didn’t make this at DMS, but if it weren’t for taking electronics classes I wouldn’t have the confidence and desire to do stuff like this.

I’m already thinking about double/tripling the circuit with different values so I can get some harmony going! :smiley:
I’ve also found the schematic for that cheap Danelectro speaker in the video, so I might even recreate that and put the whole thing into a self-contained box.

9 Likes

Hi my name is Kevin Patel & I made a light up stripper pole
Wish I could attach video to do it justice
I think the Who & why it was made is self explanatory

I did it by drilling a couple thousand holes in a pole with the Bridgeport.
After that I filled them in with acrylic, cut them down & sanded it to a mirror polish.
Finally I added LEDs inside and a wifi controller so I can program it over the air and sync multiple poles patterns together over a mesh network.

& yes it’s completely smooth to the touch

23 Likes

How much does this affect the strength of the pole? Is this a one-time deal, or a prototype for future production? Inquiring minds would like to know. :wink:

It’s strong super strong

Had one for 8 years freestanding on the back of a boat with grown ass men jumping at it trying to break it and never a problem

Design is ready for production
Manufacturing isnt though
I’ve already made 8 of them

2 Likes

I lasered a pie! 13% power 400mm/s speed on one 12" Costco pumpkin pie. If you decide to do this, make sure to pick one that is relatively flat. Also, Even though the pie is actually 12in, I’d say the actual working area is 8in since it does rise towards the edges. I started out by outlining the engraving with the pie well below the laser head to make sure I didn’t crash into the crust of the pie or anything, then I moved it up into focus. As it was lasering, it kind of appeared white, but that cleared up on its own after the pie basically re-moisturized the top. The laser did not effect the taste of the pie. $6 pie with $3 laser time.

29 Likes

Cutting lines for those family members that need a little assistance cutting straight would be a good idea too :wink:

10 Likes

I’m wondering (and doubting) if you could cut an intricate raw crust on the laser to be later cooked or possibly it’s cooked and you cut it.

6 Likes