Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - October 2018

Fantastic coat! You going to TRF?

1 Like

Yup, sometime in the near future

1 Like

Huzzah! Crack on my first piece, oh well.

11 Likes

Like a dingus I forgot to take pictures of the finished coasters from the leather coaster class. Here’s the one I did to demonstrate the techniques, and I hope some of the other students see this and upload theirs. Especially Angel who I would swear had been leather tooling for years already.

15 Likes

The cold(er) weather inspired me to whip up this little bow-knot scarf. I haven’t tried it yet with a coat, but it’s comfy with a bathrobe.

:blush:

23 Likes

Here is a small segmented turning. It’s made of spalted pecan, ebony, and madrone - more a case of the scraps I had lying around rather than an overt design decision.

The footed bowl is about the diameter of a nickel and weighs less than a dime. The thin segments are approx. 0.020" thick.

01 IMG_7569b_600px

02 IMG_7570b_600px

The rim is undercut, but it’s hard to see that unless you hold it in your hands or turn it upside down.

03 IMG_7566b_600px

33 Likes

I wish I could like that twice, that’s awesome Chris!

4 Likes

Bentwood ring of Red Gum Fumed with a Holly inner band.

16 Likes

TRF season is upon us, made a wool cloak, cotton liner, with a shimmer cloth trim and hood liner.

19 Likes

Just the other day I watched a skillshare class on those!! Going to give it a try!

1 Like

Every time I see you post with your penny for scale, I want to make a 1 foot penny.

9 Likes

C’mon Cary, every photo she’s posted is WITH a 1’ penny!

7 Likes

Sometimes I tell myself that just to feel better about the size of the things that I make.

2 Likes

I just like to imagine it being turned on the Powermatic with an 18" handle bowl gouge.

4 Likes

It started out as a very large stump and ended up the size of a penny … lots of sawdust.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

13 Likes

You know when Chris says “small,” she doesn’t mess around!

Very nice work.

2 Likes

Alas, I see that the infamous “s” crack seems to have gotten you. Make sure the bottom is dry before you take it off the wheel, and compress it a couple of times with your sponge to help avoid that. Ask any of the throwing folks what that means, if you don’t already know.

And sometimes, it seems that nothing really helps.

1 Like

:open_mouth: WOW

1 Like

Some of the stuff we made at the Dallas Makerspace this year got in the Texas Fair.

22 Likes

Wow that is beautiful

1 Like