Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - November 2019

Girl in flowers. 6" in mesquite.
Always working on how to best add people from a photo. Took a couple of conversions in other software before bringing it in to Aspire/Vcarve for the toolpaths. cheers!

IMG_2524

10 Likes

Wow! An unbelievable amount of effort. And what’s equally impressive (at least to me) is not that you did all those steps - it’s that you know how to do all those diverse steps; and invented some parts of the process, too. Can’t wait to see the finished weaving.

Actually, I hope I get to see it in person because I suspect that touching it will bring an entirely new level of appreciation.

4 Likes

I got the opportunity to do a talk at the East Coast Rep Rap Festival in Bel-air, MD about a month ago, about my backpack 3D printer. I’ve updated it since the Midwest Rep Rap Festival and it’s been a fun project.

This is my second backpack printer and I talk about using the tools at DMS for both printers.

@Kriskat30 helped me fix a strap on it the week before I flew out there.

I don’t have a lot of info besides this video but I’m found on twitter @themitch22 and my youtube channel, youtube.com/mitch3d

11 Likes

I didn’t make these at DMS, but I made the tool to make them there! The brass stamp was used to press into molten glass to create these candle coasters.

17 Likes

Just a little line work.

Create Everyday

18 Likes

Red Spidey now has a wire web. Her two sisters are still homeless. I made the spiders in the fun and excellent class by @Sarah_Hustwit and I shamelessly stole her idea to make a wire web.

So, while I was at it with the wire thing, I finished the wire wrap bracelet that @kyrithia taught in August 2017. I must have lost my brain because all it lacked was one simple bead.

IMG_8460a_600px

18 Likes

Laser cut Seven layer mandala 11x11”

Create every day

23 Likes

That’s a LOT of hair. 4x6 carving in mesquite wood.

Create everyday.

11 Likes

This is an inlayed flag/eagle 18x18". The background is figured Eucalyptus veneered plywood. All the inlays are quartered white oak veneered plywood with an acrylic wash. The entire pallet is then adhered to 1/2" plywood. These were laser cut at DMS.
Always remember to ‘grow’ the male inlays at least 0.005" in each direction for a tighter fit. Cheers!

Create Everyday.

16 Likes

@nicksilva looks great! Laser for the inlays?

yes since it was 1/16" veneered plywood. One of the Nova/Thunder lasers.

1 Like

Nice! Thank you.

1 Like

I love the knife box! Is that solid wood with a hinge?

This is a bike shipping box i made at home using a router and tracksaw. I had intended on doing it on cnc router, but didn’t get around to doing checkout class, and it was pretty much design on the fly. Main challenge was finding the corrugated plastic, figuring out how to make a box that could be cut from 4x8x5mm sheets, and finding rivets, i ended up driving the pin out and cutting longer rivets to shorter lengths, they are flush on both sides with a blind hole so wont work if the length is wrong. Pics show my mockup in cardboard and a few under construction shots. Now that i know dimensions would be feasible on cnc router or laser. Weight is about 15lbs, size is 30.5x36.5x10

14 Likes

Yep. Padauk machined out with the Shapeoko. Finishing one and cutting out another tonight. Pics to follow

1 Like

Get your skill set up and teach a class!

Finished pics. Boxes made on the Shapeoko, symbols etched on the Thunder laser.

16 Likes

Tongs made for the NTXBA 2019 conference raffle tool box.

19 Likes

We have success! I didn’t know that emulators had firmware so ended up trying 3 different ones before I got one that worked. Also found some loose connections on the board and LCD that I was able to fix as well. DMS is getting my fine arts self way more comfy with electronics and robotics :heart:…can’t wait for doc to say I can come back home!

20191109_103053|375x500

11 Likes

So this is cringe worthy?

TJ

2 Likes