Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - November 2018

Working on the legs for my V12 coffee table project. I originally designed the 1/4" stainless parts to be cut on the CNC plasma, but decided to have them cut on a water jet instead to avoid the heat affected zone (mainly for aesthetics). I did prototype the legs in plywood on the Thunderlaser prior to committing on the stainless, and I’ll be using equipment at the space to give the final parts a brushed finish, and weld up the assemblies. 60 degree caps for the head bolts will be 3D printed to reduce point-contact for the glass top.

15 Likes

I didn’t know we had a brake that hefty. Cool.

1 Like

The .100 aluminum is right at the advertised capacity of the machine.

1 Like

That should hold up pretty much forever!

Chainmail onesie for my son’s first Halloween.

!

Wade the Defiler (of diapers)

!

22 Likes

After a mere ~5 months, I have completed the exterior of my self-designed, scratch-built shed.

18 Likes

In the process of changing the wheels on the tungsten grinder, I had to make bushings. I ordered the bushings from McMaster Carr but they were 1 1/4 to 5/8”. Our grinder is 1/2’ arbor. I machined on the lathe 1” with a 1/2’ arbor hole. Width was .947”, original width of the plastic bushing. I took another .100” off the plastic bushing & aluminum width.

11 Likes

This is a bottle opener I made with a huge amount of support from @Lordrook. It was a piece of ebony that we cut in half. I made some blue and silver resin to sandwich between and turned it for a Christmas gift for a buddy on the job. I’m very very happy with it. Looks much better in person.

13 Likes

Made the ice cream scoop tonight. Did the best I could to match (from memory) the bottle opener I had made previously at the DMS in a class. It was the ice cream scoop class @Lordrook had put on. The wood is Chakte Kok wood (aka-Red Heart). The bottle opener on the right is for a gift, I posted about that previously.

12 Likes

It really does look fantastic in person. Just to let everyone know the process, he cast 3 layers of resin (silver/blue/silver) then did a glue up in the ebony wood, then turned it and did a fantastic job doing so. There was a lot of learning involved and he didn’t hesitate once to commit the time. Complex custom gifts are always the best, Im sure hes going to love it.

Also the ice cream scoop is Chakte Kok wood (aka-Red Heart).

1 Like

Made an ultra-low mount for my tripod ballhead. It allows for unique perspectives with longer exposures.
This shot is straight out of camera JPEG. I still need to process it, but I’m not confident in my ability to manage exposure and color on my monitor in the daytime.

12 Likes

IKEA coasters and trivets on the zing!

22 Likes

It’s finally finished!! It only took almost 1 year and a little help from Tom Cook, but here it is!

This is a king size platform bed with storage drawers underneath. The headboard is a stylized mountain range with LED strip lighting in between each row. The side tables have full mitered corner joints and the drawer faces have a perfect grain match to wrap around to the side panel. The wood species is Sapelle, I used a little bit of stain to darken the front 2 mountain ranges to add depth but otherwise it is just a clear coat.

It turned out beautifully, I’m very happy with it.

And it looks even better at night!

44 Likes

That looks super cool, especially back lit. Is there anything on the mountain bits to pad them so you can sit up in bed?

My first metal project so far. A HUGE thank you to @malcolmputer for assisting with the welds. I learned very quickly into this project that I am terrible at welding. I did do the design, cut the metal, and attempted to do the welding (did 3 out of 24 before we agreed he should finish). The tray is going to hold two 8x12 Himalayan salt blocks for salt block grilling, so I needed something that wouldn’t rust and would hold 25 lbs of salt.

17 Likes

Thanks.
No padding built in, I just use an additional pillow.

This is really stunning visually, I’d be afraid those points on the wood might end up leading to injury.

We made the wood on the laser in one of @talkers John’s Classes, the thunder laser 205 class. I just came here and finished them up after clear coating them. We’ll see how they look on the wife.

16 Likes

Thanks to @heyheymama during laser office hours we made this for a Thanksgiving party…

10 Likes

Did the scrubby pad smooth the texture?