Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - May 2019

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month, including things made in interesting classes!

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer blog content!

• a decent QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY

Playing with leather to try zippers and gussets. In this case, 1mm veg tan sheepskin. Wonderfully soft. Dyed with Fiebings Black Pro-dye & mink oil. I tried Neatsfoot first to keep a natural look. But the leather absorbed it more in some places and was darker. Next time I’ll try mink oil.

The zipper is from JoAnn.

I designed the pattern, with inspiration from Stock & Barrel and Corter Leather.

4mm sticking on the zipper, 6mm inside. I learned (again) not to use a contrasting color thread on the inside. You can see it if you pull on the seam.

Cheers,
john a gorman
[email protected]

29 Likes

looks very good john

1 Like

Sweet! Really nice job. As expected… looks pro.

1 Like

Tried my hand at a passport wallet. Learned a bit. I needed to make the card slots 5-10% wider. Tight fit fit the cards, but should stretch with use. Same for the passport.

I used 4-5oz cow vegtan on the outside, 2-3oz /0.8-1mm veg tan sheepskin on the inside… Wonderfully soft. Dyed with Fiebings Black & Red Pro-dye. Finished with mink oil.

4mm stitching.

Cheers,
john a gorman
[email protected]

26 Likes

Nice aesthetic touches! Now you can travel in maker style to some strange, exotic, foreign land. Like California.

3 Likes

Lol, that’s funny.

Next time I’ll try natural color and then also a dark blue to match the USA/Chilean passport color.

1 Like

Sphere of maple burl and alumilite resin.

Original mold was a 4" cube (Thanks @Lordrook for letting me borrow it).

After removing from the mold (and waiting a few days) I glued some scrap wood to the “top” and “bottom” to allow for headstock and tailstock without damaging any of the resin.

I turned it into a semi-spherical shape first then sawed off the scrap wood and made my own sphere chuck. Similar to http://www.docgreenwoodturner.com/wpimages/wp9c640b5b_06.png. One side into a four jaw chuck and the other to the tailstock.

Then I just kept turning with my negative rake and rotating the piece several times until I got to be pretty close to a sphere. I wont say its a perfect sphere, but its as close as I could get.

I wish I would have used the buffing wheels to get it more polished and therefore easier to see inside of it. Right now it just seems hazy to me which I am not a huge fan of. There are some little spots that might do well to have a light extra coat of resin just to seal in the wood and fill the spots. Might also give me the shine im looking for. /shrug

18 Likes

I didn’t make these, they’re a couple student examples from my recent ring dish class. I love seeing what makers come up with!

17 Likes

Made a box for my engagement ring. Goal was to make something discreet enough to carry in my front pocket without being distracting.

37 Likes

Beautiful! Very nice job.

1 Like

Good luck! :wedding:

2 Likes

Is there a secret compartment for the pre-nup?

5 Likes

My new job lets me be creative and experiment. So I tried my hand (pun intended) at this 3d illusion.
It is actually only 2D. Cut on our 8 foot router.

16 Likes

That’s gorgeous!
I had thought of making one of these, but your execution is better than what I imagined it would like it. Amazing.

I want to take a class on this!

For you, anything!

2 Likes

@nicksilva what did you design this in?

Pewter cast from my sand casting class last night (Monday, May 6).

13 Likes