Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - May 2018

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month! And we’re all makers at heart, so share with us any tidbits you’ve learned.

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer blog content!

• a decent QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY

[EDIT: Here is the link to last month’s Show & Tell, which is now a closed topic]

4 Likes

Finished adding snow effects to some terrain for the Frostgrave tabletop skirmish game. I now have more terrain than will fit on my 3’x3’ gaming table.

The “snow” is a mixture of white PVA glue, baking soda, and titanium white craft paint.

20 Likes

My third attempt ever at forging anything, I made a hatchet from a H. C. railroad spike that looks kinda cool. I made it to throw at stumps, and it’s holding up pretty well.

30 Likes

Mini show this weekend so I turned a 1/12 scale padauk and ebony vessel. I loooove it

25 Likes

So I got my first three knives mostly finished they could still use a little polishing but I’m pretty happy with how they all turned out

Also successfully fused copper and brass to begin making mokume gane

27 Likes

Doing the steam roller event tomorrow at deep ellum, this is my block.

22 Likes

How did I miss this?!?!?!? I did one last year. Who is sponsoring this one?

3 Likes

(guessing)
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/steamroller-printing-volunteers-needed-sunday-5-6-18/35658

2 Likes

March 31st was the first class.

It’s at deep ellum art company with the Dallas print guild, Clampitt Paper Co & Speedball are donating supplies.

https://deepellumart.co/events/steam-rollin-deep-ellum/

calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/5347

3 Likes

I used fondant cutters to make this ceramic butterfly. I’m hoping that it will work as a chopstick rest but I haven’t tried that yet.

23 Likes

Inspired by a two-legged walking robot on YouTube, I have finished the mechanical assembly of the lower half of one leg - basically, the foot, ankle, lower leg and the knee. Powered by two linear actuators with rotational sensors built into the joints; my next tasks are wiring up the electronics and programming an Arduino to create motion.

Designed in AutoDesk Inventor (Fusion would have worked but I had an Inventor license) and constructed primarily of 3D Printed ABS parts, aluminum extrusion, off-the-shelf hardware and a few machined stainless steel parts.

Phil

21 Likes

Decided to try making a hinged box on the laser, because I wanted to see if it would work.

Thanks to @talkers for showing us https://festi.info/boxes.py/ at the box making class.

IMG_0058IMG_0057IMG_0055

IMG_0056IMG_0060

I’m not sure what I’m going to do with this one. It was more a prototype for me to see how well it functions. I’m sure I will incorporate a hinged box in some project in the future.

26 Likes

Live update from the Deep Ellum Steamroller Printing event:

19 Likes

12 Likes

Huge thank you to @meanbaby for sharing some of her mica clay. These went through the regular bisque firing and I’m very happy with them. I’m looking forward to the special mica firing that is coming up. :slight_smile:

16 Likes

The Steamroll Printing event started out with a theme, “May Day”. For me, May 1 is inextricably tied to the 8 Hour Workday protests of 1886. This triptych is inspired by a woodcut. However, I wanted an image that was more modern and female. Rosie the Riveter was a natural starting point when thinking of women in the workforce, so I stuck with a 1940s vibe. I wanted to put emphasis on the last panel to remind me of work/life balance. Was thrilled when Ingrid @FrenchFrog and Sayed @sawdeck recognized the May 1 workers rights theme!

EDIT: Crossover between laser and printmaking. Took the “Laser Block Engraving” that the Printmaking SIG offers every other month - only that block is 2-inches x 3-inches, not a crazy 2-feet x 3-feet, and you print it from the comfort of the Interactive Room! Astrud talked her students into taking our skills to eleven and before we knew it we were engraving mega blocks. Next “small” class is May 31st. https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/5205

24 Likes

That looks great!
What did you use for the hinge pin?

4 Likes

I’m curious as well.

For what it’s worth, I’ve had good luck with extruded nylon rod. It’s a little over-sized. Getting it in place requires tapering the end and some muscle but, after working the hinge a little, the final result is nice.

1 Like

So there is room from improvement there. I doubled over some paperclip wire and cut it to length; It’s functional but a little loose.

I might look into getting some proper hinge pins. I am also open to suggestions.

1 Like