Roughly 3 months later I decided to complete the fence on the other side of my house so I could again enclose my back yard. There’s a bit less footage involved, but there’s a slight incline, so it was a little more challenging.
Most of the materials (there’s always at least one more Home Despot run)
I will later realize that I might ought to have exerted a little more effort and dug those holes a bit deeper…
Fixturing posts is always a challenge
I had to get creative with the last post, but managed a system that was good enough - ain’t building no boat
The buildout begins…
So some days later I have a fence but no gate. Decisions. Just go with the slope and engage in the moderate mental effort to figure out the angles on the gate frame and a little more effort trying to freehand said angles with a circular saw? Or go through a heck of a lot of effort terracing the yard?
Clearly, terracing is the superior solution!
A better idea of how it’s Supposed To Work™
Commence digging. Because black clay is such an awesome soil to work with.
Managed this in about an afternoon.
There’s always something
. In this case the buried remnants of a fenceline that predates the one I’m replacing (which was about 8’ forward of this one) and a sapling stump. Some tender probing with the San Angelo Bar dealt with the problem.
After raising and dropping a 16lb chunk of iron a couple hundred times and some “dredging” with the flat shovel, it’s flat and level ish.
Not immediately obvious what’s going on here, but this is the frame for the terrace. I went a little overboard and counterbored a screw to anchor the brace.
~120 lbs of topsoil and digging the spare bricks out of mt garage later, the general layout is done.
applied grass seed, added in the rest of the soil, watered, tamped it down as best possible, wash rinse repeat until it’s apparent I watered a bit too much…
These usually end up as pins as opposed to bending like that…
The frame fits between the gate posts. It’s supposed to do that, right?
I kind of overbuilt the gate frame. Kind of.
So very rigged. But it worked to space the gate well enough.
There’s always a shim or a bodge or a cheat. In this case, the picket spacing just didn’t work out - too much surplus to shave off with a plane but not enough for a reasonably secure board-on-board. So I took some picket scraps for spacers to screw through to hold that last picket in place.
Looks hilariously sturdy from this side. 2x6 braces because I found myself lousy with 2x6 but out of 2x4.
Some pesky little details left to sort out, such as cleaning up the approaches to the terraced path, filling in the footings that came up slightly short on concrete, some base strips to meatshield the weedeater and contain the mutts, and dealing with irregular sod strips / ~6 ft³ of clay.