Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - March 2018

yes the soap and essential oil classes will be a recurring set of classes for science.

2 Likes

Science had its first all male Soap Class

large number of people interested in robot

7 Likes

I am currently working with a new member who is a Microbiology Professor at a local University, he is helping me to develop “biohacker” classes for DMS.

10 Likes

Like they say: Cleanliness is next to Godliness (and God knows we can use some more cleanliness around here!!).

Keep up the good work!

4 Likes

Lee made a great painting wanted to share

12 Likes

Josh, thanks so much! I will keep an eye out!

Geppetto’s 1:12 scale Makerspace is completed. Everything (and I mean everything) from scratch except the shutter hardware, the empty glass fishbowl, and some tiny brads. Lots of laser work to make forms for clay and tree leaves, Shapeoko for the shutters, microlathe turning including the forms for the clay roof tiles. Many of the details have been posted already in earlier posts.

I still need to make an acrylic vitrine to cover this. Hoping @jlcourtman will teach his excellent class again!!

Many thanks for the book cover printed onto canvas by @TLAR. If you look closely you might be able to see the speckled thrush eggs in the bird nest. The tiles have moss but it isn’t visible from the photo angles.

And what would a Makerspace be without at least a few tools …

I took a class to sculpt Geppetto. I made Pinocchio from wood, mostly on my lathe. He is fully jointed.

!

36 Likes

Let me be the first to say you’re simply amazing. I love the work you do. This one is especially amazing since it has so many miniatures in one piece of art. Wow, wow, wow!

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the wonderful words. I really appreciate that!

He’s got no strings on him! (sung to the tune of “I’ve Got No Strings on Me”).

Really impressive work :maker:

1 Like

Your work is is nothing but superlatives! Do you take these to shows?

3 Likes

I am green with envy. Superb. simply superb.(no lie Pinocchio!)

2 Likes

Um, no. Not really. I fly to most of the shows I attend and I’m just too nervous to pack up stuff to ship it there.

Chris your work is amazing !!! You need your own show locally

2 Likes

Yesterday Mike and another gentleman helped me, Well to be honest they did all the work
I just advised what I wanted to make these

These are stamps for Jewelry/small metals

They started out as some inexpensive chisels from HF I will be working on making t
he cut off [pieces into more stamps;

The goal is to not only have more tools for jewelry but also to develops the skill so that
others can make their own stamps

9A5D74A2-73C0-4FED-8F59-CC54A1442E30
9A5D74A2-73C0-4FED-8F59-CC54A1442E30.jpeg2419x2422 1.21 MB

1 Like

Darn the picture didnt show

Roughly 3 months later I decided to complete the fence on the other side of my house so I could again enclose my back yard. There’s a bit less footage involved, but there’s a slight incline, so it was a little more challenging.

Most of the materials (there’s always at least one more Home Despot run)

I will later realize that I might ought to have exerted a little more effort and dug those holes a bit deeper…

Fixturing posts is always a challenge

I had to get creative with the last post, but managed a system that was good enough - ain’t building no boat

The buildout begins…

So some days later I have a fence but no gate. Decisions. Just go with the slope and engage in the moderate mental effort to figure out the angles on the gate frame and a little more effort trying to freehand said angles with a circular saw? Or go through a heck of a lot of effort terracing the yard?

Clearly, terracing is the superior solution!

A better idea of how it’s Supposed To Work™

Commence digging. Because black clay is such an awesome soil to work with.

Managed this in about an afternoon.

There’s always something. In this case the buried remnants of a fenceline that predates the one I’m replacing (which was about 8’ forward of this one) and a sapling stump. Some tender probing with the San Angelo Bar dealt with the problem.

After raising and dropping a 16lb chunk of iron a couple hundred times and some “dredging” with the flat shovel, it’s flat and level ish.

Not immediately obvious what’s going on here, but this is the frame for the terrace. I went a little overboard and counterbored a screw to anchor the brace.

~120 lbs of topsoil and digging the spare bricks out of mt garage later, the general layout is done.

applied grass seed, added in the rest of the soil, watered, tamped it down as best possible, wash rinse repeat until it’s apparent I watered a bit too much…

These usually end up as pins as opposed to bending like that…

The frame fits between the gate posts. It’s supposed to do that, right?

I kind of overbuilt the gate frame. Kind of.

So very rigged. But it worked to space the gate well enough.

There’s always a shim or a bodge or a cheat. In this case, the picket spacing just didn’t work out - too much surplus to shave off with a plane but not enough for a reasonably secure board-on-board. So I took some picket scraps for spacers to screw through to hold that last picket in place.

Looks hilariously sturdy from this side. 2x6 braces because I found myself lousy with 2x6 but out of 2x4.

The pretty side.

Some pesky little details left to sort out, such as cleaning up the approaches to the terraced path, filling in the footings that came up slightly short on concrete, some base strips to meatshield the weedeater and contain the mutts, and dealing with irregular sod strips / ~6 ft³ of clay.

14 Likes

Vivid depiction of a cotton field by Fred

12 Likes

(Here’s the pic I took).

BTW, the other gentleman who helped out was Shawn McCormic. Not sure of his handle here on Talk.

11 Likes

The real question that comes to mind is whether these tools can be used to make even smaller things?

6 Likes