Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - June 2019

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month, including things made in interesting classes!

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post ( with attribution to each maker of course ).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer blog content!

• a decent QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are ( for attribution on the blog )
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY
2 Likes

Another exercise in creating a 3d illusion. This was engraved with the laser slightly out of focus to give the background that spotty look and to pull the eye to the foreground. Engraved on Maple veneered plywood.

19 Likes

New table ( based on the new flex area table design, just a lot shorter) and lockout boxes for the registration micro adjustment knobs for the new screen printing press in Printmaking.

17 Likes

These were all done at Makerspace! The A Frame signs are toasted and sealed with Ecopoxy, the advertising signs are to showcase some of the products and floors Haywire restaurant has. Vinyl was used for precise letters and designs while I finished it up with some hand painting! The prototypes were cheap, the next ones won’t be! Thank you to those that gave me encouragement along the way!

20 Likes

My unofficial student let me try out the curriculum for our yard art class.

14 Likes

What, if I may ask, is the stock dimension on that bad boy?
Looks good!

This one we just did a little 12x12 inch (good thing since it will have to be redone lol)…the final product will be 24x24ish. He needs to measure the wall. I’ll be doing another one at 48x48 of a different design. I’ll be doing another class where we practice powder coat and he’s planning dark green. I think dads will be pleased with their gifts

2 Likes

Thank you.
What thickness?
Mild Steel?
:+1:

Just in case you didn’t notice… I want your final piece to be tied up neatly with a bow, not untied. Looks cool!

(I’m saying you misspelled united)

4 Likes

Ah.
That explains this:

3 Likes

16ga cold mild. Only the finest that Home Depot can provide. :joy:

3 Likes

Lol he did, just not until he suffered through making the whole code and started cutting. Itll be a fun example to have in hand for future classes

1 Like

My cherry desk is finally coming together!

It feels close to finished, but there’s still plenty more to do.

edit: forgot to add more info to the post

This is a mid-century modern desk that I’m building for my wife and will eventually be accompanied by a matching credenza and a pair of bookcases, designed based on something I saw from West Elm:

Joinery for the beveled edges used with 8x50mm dominos cut in half and installed at 45°.

27 Likes

House warming gift for my Sister who just moved back to the Metroplex.

14 Likes

Fun today at home, but still makery. I was asked by my wife to make a small shelf to fit in our pantry. She will use it to stack bottled water and 1/2 gallon juice bottles. It was made from scrap wood I picked up at DMS over a year ago. (On the wood donation shelf) Here’s the picture below. It is made from 1 inch thick baltic birch and a pine wood clothes rod. It was sanded to 220 grit and finished in satin lacquer.

I also made a carving mallet from a piece of my pecan tree which I cut over a year and a half ago. It was turned on my lathe, sanded to 220 and finished with teak oil.

It is perched on my wife’s new shelf.

14 Likes

what software?

That desk is awesome looking. If you don’t mind my asking, how experienced of a woodworker are you? Do you think it’s something a beginner could tackle?

1 Like

The Needle Felting a 3D finger puppet was a wonderful class MrsMoose! Thank you for hosting all of us in class tonight.

I hope you host again sometime.

20 Likes

Some more work with the new screen printing setup, resulting in a bunch of 4 color tshirts for sale via PR! $25 each, sizes from S to 3XL in various colors

18 Likes