Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - June 2019

Sara’s set she made in JSM! Her pendant was cut in beginner metalsmithig then she stayed for the enameling class

10 Likes

How long was this cut? curious.

Had fun dye sublimating some custom made aluminium dashboards (character sheets) for the Gaslands game. I think I spent more time in photoshop than I did sublimating them!

Thanks @CaryF300 for your literal corner cutting skills!

14 Likes

Here’s my “DMS Upcycling” knife. Forged from a coil spring from Automotive. Scales are spalted pecan wood from the Woodshop wood shelf. Hand made mosaic pins (brass rod, brass tubing, and epoxy resin tinted with Testors enamel).

Tools used included the gas forge, the induction forge, anvils, KMG grinder, and several tools in the wood shop to shape the scales (band saw, planer, sanders), as well as some tools from home.

18 Likes

Mike, please teach a class on the mosaic pins. I just paid $17 for a 4 and 23/32 inch mosaic at Woodcraft. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/mosaic-pin-j3-6mm-x-120mm-1-4-x-4-23-32

Or… maybe you could show me what you did to make yours. They are awesome. The knife is awesome, too.

1 Like

Just in case you missed it, the technique was shared here

(not negating the need/want for instruction/class/assistance, I’m sure)

3 Likes

Those turned out really great, and look so much better in person.

For those that are wondering, those started as a 12" x 24" sheet of silver Dynasub aluminum. @mreynolds cut the blanks himself, and used my corner rounding punch on them. He was able to print 8 images on a single 11" x 17" page, and press them all at once. It was very efficient and cost effective.

4 Likes

I did miss it. Thank you @jast. I may try it myself if Mike decides he’s not able or wants to teach a class.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m gonna need to make some of these for our Traveller game. Do you accept tacos in payment for help?

I don’t know about Mark, but I accept tacos, and have the corner punch to loan you.

4 Likes

Tacos for everyone!! … and by everyone I mean @CaryF300 and @mreynolds

6 Likes

For you buddy, always

2 Likes

I ran the numbers for the J3 pins Woodcraft sells for $17.50, using Amazon prices, and in the case of the 1/32" copper and brass tubes substituting solid brass the same diameter since I can’t find those tiny tubes on Amazon.

The metal parts for that pin configuration (which uses A LOT of pieces) would be $14.73 per ~6" pin (bits come in 12" lengths, so you’d get 2 roughly 5.5" pins from each after trimming). Add in the plastic tubing, the epoxy, and the Testor’s enamel paint and your parts cost would be about their retail cost.

4 Likes

Check Hobby Lobby for tiny tubing. That’s where I get it

Thanks.

Hobby Town USA also has a good selection of K&S tubing. That being said, I wasn’t trying to actually make the pins - I was just trying to spec out a reasonable materials cost for a 1-off reproduction of the part @coloneldan purchased. Solid rod vs tube is close in price for a given size, especially for the tiny stuff.

I forgot to mention that if I were making the pins, I would probably have used Aluminum tubing rather than Stainless Steel. The look would be nearly identical and it’s a little bit cheaper, but most importantly, since it’s much softer than steel sanding the tubing to final length would be much easier and less likely to over-sand the wood.

2 Likes

Made a universal web terminal that supported Codepage 473/ansi art and can connect to anything over http/websockets that’s going into a DIY smart mirror:

https://jsfiddle.net/spencercooper/emf3b2w8/embedded/html,result/dark/

Also got a VAX with BSD Unix and an IBM PC with DOS to run over ssh.

Screenshots:

9 Likes

@Christykaake Taught me to make my first stained glass piece yesterday. I think my peach emoji turned out pretty nice.

28 Likes

What is this madness!? So awesome!

1 Like

beautiful work

Dichroic glass fused dagger with walnut handle, maple and walnut stand and copper embellishments.

22 Likes