Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - June 2018

I recently had the opportunity to be involved with a body painting exhibition down in Deep Ellum and it was very successful. I’ve done this kind of work for years and I’m re-exploring this form of artwork. The first photo is from the exhibition with my model and the second was done last night at the space as I practice some techniques for the next show.

19 Likes

I agree on the bypass tray ($169), which will allow prints up to 13" x 19", but even that would fit in our existing press.

The next size up heat press is a 20" x 25" heat press, and the decent ones start at $3,000.

This has been my work for the last couple of days. A body double for my few sewing projects (I have weird proportions :P)

I made it with staples’ packing tape (the one reinforced with glass fiber) and it is filled with insulation foam, that I still need to trim. I’m just waiting for it to finish curing.

11 Likes

@Cairenn_Day, the silent auction is in December :slight_smile:

We’ve had several classes of duct-tape mannequins. Appears to be similar technique. Person whose form is to be made wears a tee-shirt and body is crisis-crossed with many layers of tape til semi-rigid. Then a cut up the back the entire length is made. Mold is slipped off. Opening sealed, interior stuffed with paper, batting, whatever to help make more ridged but still light.

It looks like you used foam - which would also work.

Would you consider teaching a class on your method and materials?

2 Likes

Yup, is that same technique. The advantage of the packing tape is that you only need 2 or 3 layers, thanks to the reinforcements. Which makes the mold closer to your real proportions. The drawback is that is a slower process because the tape needs to be wet to use the glue on the back, so you need to let it dry before cutting it open.

Yes, I used the insulation foam that comes in a can. Once it cures it rock solid so it won’t deform unless you REALLY abuse it.

I can do it no problem, as long as I can have a couple of hours

2 Likes

Instructor decides how long - its your class. I’d guess the class I was at was two hour+. Instructor demos, then students pair off and they do one then switch.

Get with CA chair with materials list and ask that CA buy the materials for the class. Then a material fee can be calculated and charged for the class - CA recoups money spent this way and instructor is not out of pocket and have to wait for reimbursement.

1 Like

I can now find the toilet paper at home without going out to the garage. Was printed on double wide “bubba” and got clogged mid print. Sliced and printed the remainder then decopodged in toilet paper to hide the seams. Literally the first thing I’ve hung up at my new house.

8 Likes

I cast bronze brooches in lost wax, then carved matching pieces to cast later.

16 Likes

Nice! I like the dog and bunny combo!

1 Like