Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - June 2018

Me too. I’m listening to Jurassic park so Dinos are on my brain.

@Anette_Henningson are those molds at the space or are they personal molds?

2 Likes

The blue and white (and yellow) on the penguin is mason stain in the slip.

2 Likes

He lives with me, but there are lots of others up for adoption.

3 Likes

agreed, I need to take a slipcasting class now.

2 Likes

They both look amazing! Thank you for posting. :slight_smile:

If anyone is interested in slip casting you can follow the Fired Arts Facebook page to get an idea of which molds went to DMS and which molds might still be available to take home.

3 Likes

I think the technique for the penguin is taught in @toussaintpeg’s class and it’s very cool. It’s mason stain - similar concept to acrylic pours.

1 Like

It’s quite cool, I’ll have to try it sometime. I tested the rectangular planter mold Wednesday, it’s on the shelf drying waiting for me to clean it up. I really like the shape/style of that one, although the giant top opening made me nervous for dumping the slip! (I also tried the baby doll head but alas, I tried taking it out of the mold too soon and it got even creepier than just a head)

5 Likes

Awesome, I can’t wait to see it!

Padauk and Purpleheart laminate goblet.

18 Likes

I also made one of those and got to take him home on father’s day!

22 Likes

I just finished this fire agate pendant. It was interesting because the stone was a funky shape with wildly varying thickness, kinda small (more challenging), interesting slopes, plus not obscuring or distracting from stone with too much wire. Also wanted an open bail so that it can be attached to a larger neck piece or worn separately. The answer to the funky shape was combining a couple of techniques (right vs left side). The metal is sterling silver accented with gold-filled wire.

For those interested, I’ll probably start teaching wire jewelry classes again sometime in July. This particular pendant is actually a variant of the base-level mechanics you can learn in the bezel pendant class

[edited to add more technical blather below if that’s your thing]

So the pic below shows some of the funky stone contours. One side really thick, sloping down to very very thin.

The biggest challenge is the bezel going around is the same number of wires needed to hold thick side, but would be too many for thin side and let the stone sink down into the bezel in the thin/right side and make it look strange. And the thick side slopes in a lot.

So what I wound up doing is the wavy melty thing on the left, leaning stuff in. It’s a little tricksy for that but not altering the wire needed to catch it on the back, then come together.

Then for the very thin right side with prong, if you look at the pic of the back, I have one place where I kicked in two layers of wire instead of one, thus lifting up the thin edged stone from the back, leveling it some. Then compensating on the transition to other thin parts by gradually laying the bezel over to a lower angle so it stays thick but acts thinner.

Then there was futzing with the shaping so it didn’t lose the cool subtle perimeter shape of the stone. It’s not perfect, but mainly was trying to echo the spirit of it some versus have it become just a general oval.

17 Likes

was the dino eyes in the mold to add as a attachment?

1 Like

I would love to learn the wiring!

1 Like

Great work!!!

1 Like

hey, that is a Masterpiece!

1 Like

Took @Lordrook class on leather pouch awhile ago. Great class, great teacher. Took the concept and made it my own. Oil tanned utility leather. This is now home for my wireless mic set.

15 Likes

Making a dollhouse to donate to the Crystal Charity Ball, the biggest children’s charity fundraiser in Dallas. This will be in their silent auction and hopefully raises a bunch of money for them.

This was my daughter three years ago when I made the same house for her.

24 Likes

Yes, but unfortunately I missed that part, might cast them to add later.

1 Like

I wish that some of us could add some furnishing to it

P;an far enough ahead and that might be a great chrity project for us

Nothing super fancy - it’s a 14" x 24" game mat for a new board game - Dwarven Smithy. This also happens to be the same size mat used for Magic the card game. Took 3 sheets of dye sub paper and 2 heat presses. Not perfect - tiny white lines between sheets and slight blemish where pad got pressed twice from overlap. But for first ever attempt to dye sub something - not bad. We need bypass tray for 13x17 paper and next size up press. LOL

15 Likes