Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - January 2019

In one night, Shawn and I made a stickman from PVC pipe. I turned him into the abominable snowman by adding pillow innards and materal. The kids loved him

22 Likes

Cocobolo slimline pen

21 Likes

absolutely unbelievable super unreal awesome cool out of this god damn world!

1 Like

super coooool!

1 Like

So glad yall posted on this.
A small strip of cotton cloth (blue jean material for example) in front of the bit will minimize the chipping.
Go grab some carborundum (red rouge) from the jewelry polishing area if you want to be more agressive on thicker glass.
The wax will need to be cleaned off but will save you time…
Hope that helps,
Richard

So cool I love it - - now that is a display to be proud of!

1 Like

I am amazed at the level of detail and the skill BEAUTIFUL

Hey folks. I thought I would take moment to a share a success. My wife and I just did our first laser etch with the rotary jig. We took our time and got it right on the first try. Thanks to our excellent teacher @talkers and another super helpful guy whose name is Dave, I think.

Anyway, it came out great, but in the process we learned something we wanted to share. The etching came out a little bronze colored, slightly matte brownish-yellow rather than shiny stainless colored. It also smelled strongly of sulfur. It was really good, but it wasn’t great.

We tried Goo-Gone, alcohol, soap, but it was Barkeepers Friend that took all of that yellow color away. Easily. It must have been a chemical process rather than an abrasive process. It’s now even more beautiful and matches the rest of the stainless. Yes, this is one of those $5 RTIC Food Containers that were on sale.

Bonus Pic: It’s too big to mount using either set of the jaws and none of the holders for the conical mount fit, so we improvised. That’s a foam board circle taped onto the bottom with a hole punched to fit the conical mount. Worked well enough.

25 Likes

I built a wine box for a close friends’ wedding. It is designed with a round hole in the top so guests can write notes to the bride and groom on 3x5 note cards. The notes are rolled and, when inserted through the hole, expand to circle the bottle. The wine and the notes are to be enjoyed on their first anniversary. When I was done I didn’t like how the etching was hard to see so I added a base to hold batteries and some white LEDs to edge light the acrylic.
Tools:
Table saw, hole saw, drum sander, belt sander, clamps, drill, laser cutter, soldering iron.

23 Likes

Barkeepers Friend?? That’s great info! Thank you

Oxalic Acid is the primary ingredient

5 Likes

LEDs make everything better. Great gift and quote!

That’s it! Whatever it is, that stuff is magic around the house. Wish I had a bar to use it on. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Oxalic Acid is also used as a Wood Bleach. It doesn’t affect the powder coating at all or were you just careful to only put it on the metal?

…I paid a lot more for “wood bleach” :neutral_face:

1 Like

I once read that it’s also good to use to clean fiberglass between coats to remove all the “blush” and make the next coat of resin adhere.

On someone’s suggestion, I tried acetone. He had had success. When I tried it, it started to remove the powder coating and not the unwanted residue.

It did not affect the powder coating at all. And we were not careful about where we used it. Just put it on and soaped it up over the sink. There are some abrasives in the paste, so we did not scrub very hard so as to not change the finish of the powder coat.

Beautiful work!
If anyone else runs into the discoloration, we have oxalic acid in the jewelry cabinet – please put your donations into the jewelry area donation box – let me know if there is anything else we can help with in jewelry / small metals…
I love DMS!!!

2 Likes

Anette glazed some of the Tiki bisque she got for Christmas. It came out very cool!

23 Likes

Those look amazing!!! I am still looking for tiki molds for Anette, they are difficult to find. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Indeed, even the bisque was hard to find. The place I got them only has them occasionally. They had been out of stock for months

1 Like