Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - February 2020

Rebar??
I understand twisted rebar is interesting but I have never tried it.

Living hinged box! Thanks @talkers!

22 Likes

The box took 11 minutes to cut. It took 4 people 34 min to assemble, lol.

I really enjoyed the spirit of this class, working together to explore and build different models.

My Tinkercad class just before was similar. Everyone had fun building models and working together. No one wanted to leave, lol.

I truly like classes like this. :v:

8 Likes

I’m bringing rebar, round, and square bar. All work, but give different textures/results. 4 feet of 3/8" stock is about the right length. FWIW, @johnk is working up a version for holding a plate as a complementary piece - it uses 6 feet of stock IIRC.

Rebar has a recognizable and interesting texture, but it can be a little frustrating to new users, because its hardness can vary along the length of the bar and especially between piece to piece. A36 is more predictable. I usually buy A36 hot rolled for the classes, as I can buy it in 20 foot lengths from Wylie Steel at a good price. It is use in a lot of architectural items (iron fencing, et al) so they usually have it in stock and in bulk.

2 Likes

A satire of a feel-good inspirational poster.

Ingredients: vinyl cut lettering, acrylic paint, glitter, picture frame, matte finishing seal.

Lyrics are from a song by Death Grips - Beware. Found a spare cheap canvas on the free shelf at makerspace. Picked out a cursive font on a free website and vinyl cut the letters and mixed acrylic paint with a hint of color shift glitter. Made it for a partner of mine as a Valentine’s present. It’s a satire of treacle platitude inspirational style posters.

If I had to make it again, I would be sure to use inkscape or vinyl master to do the image layout instead of doing it from photoshop/gimp. Each letter had cuts where they overlapped and connected, ink scape has features that can autocorrect common cut errors like that. I knew about the feature but then recently forgot! Lesson learned!

Brenly, instagram: @brenlyxr

10 Likes

I got some jewelry and Lapidary work done this week. Thank you @sroriginals.

24 Likes

This is a 3D (raised) embossing stamp of a sugar skull in solid brass. I prepared the blanks including the handle wings and hole on the HAAS. (see my earlier post) Because this is 3D work, the file (for a 1 1/4" design) was about 300K for a single engraving toolpath. So that part was done at home on my mill. It could still be done on the HAAS but it is a pain breaking up those 3d files. Engraving time was 3.3 hours.
It turns out it still requires more pressure than can be had by hand to do the embossing so this had to be pressed on my 1 ton arbor press. It was good experience and now I know to only stick to 2D stamps (inward) if I need it to be hand stampable. On to the next one - cheers!

12 Likes

My first real project on the Bridgeport Mill. This is an “upsetting block” for Blacksmithing. The sequence of holes are used when forging a bar thicker by driving the hot metal back into the main mass of the piece. The holes are slightly larger than the parent stock, but help hold things straight so that the stock doesn’t bend while upsetting.

Made from 5160 for the plate and A36 for the Hardy Hole stake. Holes are graduated in 1/8” increments from 3/8” to 1”.

Here it is in place on the anvil. Nice snug fit should minimize wiggling.

12 Likes

Maybe an arc-filtering (filter small lines into arcs) utility for your g-code could reduce the size. Looks like it just 2D. I’ve seen them make big reductions in code.

it looks 2D because it is a top side view only. I assure you it is not and there is no getting around how large it’s going to be. that’s the nature of 3D.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

5 Likes

My cats, who have that distinctly feline “I am a god” sense of humor, gave a laser-cut valentine to their dad.

13 Likes

wow. hard to believe my show and tell was flagged and removed.
So much for us being an adult institution.
You can say the F bomb on here. You can say dickbutt. you can show the dickbutt emoji but you can’t show a butt. the only sad part is that the process part is lost to those that want to know about how to do this.

3 Likes

I’m a little sad it was removed as well. Every tool you used to make it was 18+, and you did a good job documenting the process and settings to duplicate it.

3 Likes

I’m stunned as well.

It’s great work in designing and execution. Translating pictures to vectors and maintaining shading is great work.
@nicksilva

3 Likes

Getting better at Persian :heart:

13 Likes

Made some glaze transfers for ceramics and did a test piece. Need more underglaze :upside_down_face:

14 Likes

Ppppllleeeease tell me you did this by screen printing!? This has desperately been on my to-do list!

1 Like

Eye did! Even have small ones ready for a class :+1:t3:

6 Likes

elfexcited
:astonished: I sure as heck hope I’m free whenever that becomes available!

5 Likes