Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - December 2018

Made a 20 inch sign for my Dad (probably to hang in his garage). Still amazed by the more than 50 years he worked for Kidron. The first picture is my old copy of the throwback logo they used during most of his time and the second is the finished sign. Found a jpg of the logo to bitmap trace in vCarve and used the Multicam CNC on a board spray painted red. Rather then painting the “interior”, I chose to let the wood color be the white. Added some poly and routered a keyhole on the back for hanging. Pretty straightforward project, but he will love it and it will be in the mail today.

Merry Christmas y’all!

17 Likes

Been working on business-card sized blocks for the Printmaking Committee’s Holiday Print-A-Thon on Saturday. Am in the process of re-making the Merry Christmas block…trial and error, trial and error…it’s the Maker Way.
BTW, Print-a-Thon is an Open Workshop, so any one - even the public - can try these out.

21 Likes

Based off of @Webdevel’s no-sew pouch class, I made a sewn pouch because I’m a glutton for punishment.

22 Likes

Looks great!!

April grinded and fire polished in the microwave. They are all ready for Christmas

22 Likes

6 Likes

Looks like I found something else I may want to try!

I randomly made a septum ring, sterling silver and looking for a home. (size is 14g and 9mm diameter)

16 Likes

So this is a work-in-progress I’ve been working on off/on for about a month. This will be a quilt measuring about 30” x 40” after all the stitching is done.
One photo is just the quilt top, the other has the photo I was working from above the quilt. This was my favorite photo of @ioport51 late, great Aussie, Gizmo. Aka Moe.

27 Likes

Awesome!! Make sure you post when the stitching is done. I’m dying to see. :smile:

1 Like

But of course. I figure it can be like the backyard shed reports.

2 Likes

I attend a Toastmasters Christmas party each year. We have a ornament exchange as part of the festivities. I decided to make one for the occasion.

The two spindles, top and bottom, are made from African Blackwood. The middle is made from a unique piece of cocobolo I acquired several years back. The white sandwich wood is tiger maple.

I think it turned (sic) out pretty well.

23 Likes

Tonight I took @Mandaris ‘s beginner chain maille class. Kinda cool, really. But brain twisting until it finally “clicks”.

Yet another new interest vortex…

16 Likes

LOL the collar is way too big. And I even brought her collar in to the class. Live and learn.

3 Likes

So I made these today. I’ve taken a pen class with John, another couple turning classes with @Lordrook Steve. Finally though was able to take at this knowledge and go through the process “by myself” with some help and borrowed tools from Ryan. This is a Christmas pen for my mom, Steve made the blank.

17 Likes

The pen came out great! Did you do a CA finish?

Big photo dump from last night’s raku event. Return of the creepy baby head

Edit: I have no idea why it chose that order to upload them in. Oh well. Meadandering journey

22 Likes

Nice.

It really needs an “exposed brain” lid. Or just a brain that can sit inside of it.

2 Likes

At one time it had some horns rising out of it.
Albeit another random piece of green ware just stashed in there for easier transport.

1 Like

Or…baby doll head loofah/sponge holder with a pink loofah or sponge. :slight_smile:

3 Likes