Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - April 2019

How much pigment did you end up having to use? Looks really good.

1 Like

I did 4 coats brushed on since the Prevale sprayer I got didn’t work. Since then @ladysandry got, and let me borrow, an airbrush that connects to any air compressor and that has done a much better job.

Edit: its hard to assume a quantity but I think we got about 4 full tumblers done with the half ounce amount (same as you have if you water down the pigment for airbrush usage).

Is there going to be an electroplating class?

Copper, Nickel, Tin, Zinc or Brass?

What is base metal?

Copper over 3d prints and natural objects like leaves/acorns…only because the YouTubes say that the chemicals are readily available at the hardware store for such things, plus I want them able to solder

Copper sulfate is readily available - tree root killer. But you’ll need some of the the brush on metal paint (I believe nickel based) and then you can copper plate it. Go low voltage, it’s slower but gives a better finish unless you use brighteners - but that makes it much more complicated.

Have fun.

@maxk68 has offered som copper plating 3-d prints classes in recent past. Might check in with him to see if he has more planned.

1 Like

Science developed a process to plate onto plastics using a nickel based paint, unfortunately that is no longer allowed to use spray paints at makerspace, another way to plate is with using a bath of Palladium Chloride which we are about to order, after you dip it in a bath of this most plastics become conductive enough to plate on. You may also borrow our conductive spray paint if you take it off site and bring it back…we have no other option at this point. We have Nickel and Copper baths, if there is high demand I may make one for silver.

1 Like