Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - April 2019

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month!

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer blog content!

• a decent QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY

@ioport51 requested a tool roll for his “toss-in-truck” set of harbor freight wrenches. I drafted and made this for him yesterday.

39 Likes

the quality of your tools is secondary to the organization system you use to keep track of them. A snap on wrench is only better than a HF wrench if you can find it.

Problems can not be solved

by the same level of thinking that created them.

Albert Einstein

Larry Curtis

[email protected]

1 Like

Hello Makers! I have a few photos to share from classes over the last month. Everyone did such a wonderful job on their pieces and I wanted to share them with you all.

17 Likes

Uv resin tree… some process and one complete.

13 Likes

Tree of Life dyed pieces

13 Likes

@jrkriehn, @ioport51, @so_creative … I moved your posts to April since I forgot to create the April thread until after I saw your posts. Thanks for understanding.

5 Likes

Finished a project. It’s a mobile paint booth! Made from an old trunk and a seized-up fan. Got it all working. Extended wiring, and now all I need to do is add a filter!

9 Likes

Neat! Cool idea, please do not use this inside the makerspace though, it would still be against fire code. Probably not your intention just thought I’d mention it.

1 Like

Been helping a fellow member and high school senior out with his thesis project. We laser scribed graphene onto Kapton tape using the Epilogue.
IMG_0569
Despite what one reads in newspaper headlines, graphene made by this method (and most methods) will never be anywhere close to conductive as metal. That’s ok though, because this type of graphene is mostly researched for its use as an electrode in super-capacitors and batteries and has other applications too.

I transferred some of the graphene to a rubber/polysiloxane surface as it cured. It remained conductive and responded to bending and stretching prompting me to make a motion-caption sensor for my finger.

Next up I want to try electroplating the graphene with copper to see if we might be able to not only make custom PCBs at DMS, but stretchable and bendable PCBs!

Many thanks to Kris W. for help working the Epilogue!

16 Likes

This is at my house.

1 Like

Is that an explosion-proof fan? Might want to keep a fire extinguisher handy if you spray anything flammable.

1 Like

Yes. It is a brushless motor!

3 Likes

To be honest, I had no idea the junk fan had a brushless before I stripped it down and fixed it.

1 Like

Last month I won the door prize at the Electronics Committee meeting - a power supply, but it needed some repair work.

While in California for work I found the perfect replacement pot at an area electronics parts store for a whopping 95c plus tax. Here’s the broken one removed from the power supply:

And the repaired power supply, set to 6.0v output. The Coarse adjustment pot was the broken one.

18 Likes

What an investment . . . cost you all of 95 cents. That power supply sells on eBay for $50 to $75. You now have a great looking and running power supply.

2 Likes

Thanks Rich,

I have 4 adjustable power supplies in my shop so I accepted the win of this one to fix it and find it a good home with a maker that will use it. It’s going home with Bernard Gray as soon as we can meet up at the space.

:santa:

6 Likes

More Aluminoids! This top is made from the lid of a soda can, with an unclosed rivet in its axis, and a paper printout of a spiral.

It’ll spin for over 35 seconds, which is remarkable; its light weight allows for the transfer of most of the torque into rotational speed, and its small ball-like “foot” minimizes friction with the table.

The funky spiral motion is an artifact of the low framerate of the gif-video coupled with the gradual slowing of the top.

spinnerpinktoptop

11 Likes

More Aluminoids! This cannon is made from two soda cans, a toothpick, and three uncompressed rivets. You can breech-load large spitwads in the barrel and blow 'em out. FIRE!!

David A. Tucker

11 Likes