Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - April 2018

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month! And we’re all makers at heart, so share with us any tidbits you’ve learned.

Posting here promotes Dallas Makerspace and could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer blog content!

• a decent quality PHOTO
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY
3 Likes

Some really great stuff was posted in March Show & Tell right before it was unpinned from the top. If you missed it, you might want to check it out.

5 Likes

Slipcasting class went well yesterday. Five cups were made. I didn’t get a photo of mine, but we had one solo cup, and a few of these. One got ripped apart when separating the mold. I don’t think that happens because it was still too wet, but it might have been.
I’ve been working on these molds for a while and this project is why I became a member. I “designed” (if you can even call it that) this cup in SketchUp and 3D printed it. Made a plaster mold from it, then silicone molds off of those. I now have 5 roughly identical molds, because casting one cup at a time feels like a waste of time.

5 Likes

It sounds fun … but the links don’t seem to work. Would love to see your pics.

Whoops.

Forgot to put this in the first post, but I 3D printed a bottle for a classmate to make a slip mold for.

11 Likes

Of all the things I’ve made lately, this is my favorite. Made a passive cell phone amplifier. It works really well and I love how it came out! Already working on my next design. I call this one Wall-E :slight_smile: FB_IMG_1522623168533|690x459

27 Likes

I (mostly) finished the coffee I’ve been working on for our anniversary. Mesquite with turquoise layered into the recesses and then filled with epoxy resin.

32 Likes

Aluminoid armies advance!

3 cans, two toothpicks, laser-cut MDF platform, 3 pieces of tape, Lego-head, straw segment (internal), and decapitated pushpin for neck support.

11 Likes

I got some tools for Christmas that I wanted to try out. I made a small project bench. I cut the lumber to size in woodshop, made a jig on the laser, outlined KANJI on laser, Drilled dowels in woodshop, lasered my signature all at makerspace. I used my hand tools and planer in my garage. Turned out better than I expected. Thanks to John Gorman for getting me past my creators block with the template! You sir are a laser ninja!

Todd

IMG_4763
IMG_4764
IMG_4766
IMG_4770

IMG_4814

IMG_4815
IMG_4822
IMG_4825
IMG_4834
IMG_4833
IMG_4835

IMG_5086
IMG_5087
IMG_5089

31 Likes

It’s gorgeous…

Had been working on a queen sized headboard sporadically for way too long until I accidentally epoxied two main pieces together in the wrong position. Learned a lot, like epoxy will find its way through layers of glue-up…

The good news is it got me to the next project which was cleaning up this pile of wood I had in the corner of my garage:

I found plans for a rolling lumber cart on buildsomething.com and went for it. Here is the assembled cart. Love the result and the organization it brings to my garage. Found a bunch of different wood (ash, walnut, and hard maple) I had forgotten about.

Everything fit and here it is installed.

Took a few hours at DMS with my son to do all the cuts and two solid days of assembly. You may not be able to see but there are over 150 pocket holes. Me and my Kreg jig are now very close.

Next up? We’ll see…

20 Likes

Here’s a sneak preview of the project for Sunday’s intro to blacksmithing class.

I cut out a bunch of blanks on the plasma CNC. Thanks to Tim Baney (not to be confused with Tim Bene) for his help on the setup.

Here are the blanks (the color variation is an accidental byproduct of the CNC process):

And here is the forged-out final product: a forged tulip :tulip:.

14 Likes

Grabbed from the freebie shelf, stripped and repainted as a gift for my mom. :slight_smile:

18 Likes

So my neighbor has this “semi-stainless” cart he asked me what I could do to make it stable. The nutcerts were stripped. So I decided to weld the shelves to the legs. A few of the welds didn’t turn out as good as I had hoped because I couldn’t get comfortable, and my battery in my hood died. The cart is for his church, they have monthly lunches to & want to use it for the plates. I started on it before I went to PA last week & finished tonight. About 16 1.25” welds on probably 22 gauge.

Shaky hands.

18 Likes

Did you use Tig for that? I’m looking to buy a new welder and have never tried tig but was thinking it would be best for metals under 1/16”

1 Like

Yep I used the TIG set at 40 amps and used the foot pedal.

1 Like

Very nice work. Great combination of areas at DMS to produce a beautiful bench. I love it.

2 Likes

for shaky hands those welds look good. Back off the Gatorade!

1 Like

I just joined at the beginning of the month and now have wood shop and laser access. As a hobby I salvage lumber from trees that are being removed in the East Dallas area. I ussally mill the lumber into boards with a portable chainsaw mill. My shop is now literally over flowing with wood and I don’t have enough space so I have embarked on a campaign to sell/trade off some of the lumber. What better way than to make buisness cards out of samples of the woods I have available. I still need to design a logo but here are some prototypes made in the DMS laser and woodshop areas.

15 Likes