Dallas Makerspace Show And Tell - November 2017

Using tools to make tools! I love it.

Those are from his double secret diabetic recipe book. Won’t share the secret of how he uses no sugar or carbohydrates to make. It’s not a secret - MAGIC.

Looks great! Everything cooked in cast iron is better! Make skillet pizzas the other day where you cook the crust on the stovetop for a few minutes with a dash of olive oil. Then you put it in a ripping hot oven at 500.

4 Likes

Back in May during the DMS picnic, I happened to “win” an auction to make a cutting board with the assistance of @mblatz. The universe finally aligned our schedules AND the schedules of the equipment. All said and done, I ended with two cutting boards.

27 Likes

May of what year?

They look great! (the bagels, I mean). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The Shapeoko enabled me to make the side rails to construct (miniature) louvered shutters (which was like assembling a house of cards). This will go on a rustic miniature italian building circa 1890. The leaded glass window is made from microscope slides.

Disclaimer: I did not make the hinge hardware (which won’t be attached until I make the walls, either).

17 Likes

What do you do with the molds after? We could use them in our clay lab. Just saying lol

With help from @fedakkee I learned to not die and solder new leads into power supplies! Proof of concept on a self timer electro etch (and hopefully plating) rig I’m building

5 Likes

I CAD/CAM’d in Fusion 360 two brand new table saw slides for the wood shop. Cut the parts out on the MultiCam and glued’em together. They have incorporated t-slot clamp fixtures, back stop extenders for extra long pieces of wood, rail support for any kind if jig you want to attach to it. Bonus Feature: the blade does not come out the back of the slide because if of a proprietary thumb guard and blade stop I custom installed on each slide. There is one slide each for the Delta and SawStop.
There are many different table saw slides in the world of Humans 
 DMS has “The One That Rules Them All”

31 Likes

Dang! Thanks for making something for the space, @fedakkee!

6 Likes

Second CNC wood router project. Barbell stand for dead lift.

9 Likes

Thanks a bunch. You are an awesome asset to DMS and to everyone you’ve helped. Nice job!

3 Likes

My experiments making friends with nĂ„lbinding after a class I took earlier this week. Then practicing. Now I’m starting a hat (see upper right pic) with my handspun and using a needle I made in a different class.

tl:dr warning line–read further for full blather :slight_smile:

I took a class in nĂ„lbinding the other night. It’s an ancient precursor to knitting but done with a needle and looped stitches. Examples found in Viking and Egyptian archeology, among others.

Anyway, I’d wanted to to learn it, but it can be a little confusing at first and my several attempts over the years hadn’t worked out. So I was happy to see it scheduled.

So, I’m making friends with it finally.

In pic, I abandoned the first attempt with the pretty yarn because I hadn’t figured out the tensioning yet (see upper left). It actually is kinda interesting, that lacy open ruffled row. Problem is that’s the first row. Ahem. Way way way too loose. So, abandoned it since you can’t just rip out nĂ„lbinding. You have to unwork it (or fix it with scissors, muahaha). Hmmm

Ok, so used a different yarn I cared less about since I want the pretty yarn for a project and need to practice more first. (This has been great for using up some of my random handspun skeins.) So fiddled a bit, and figured out tensioning better. See lower left? Much better. Even did it in the car.

Continued that. Figured just work until that yarn was gone. The first rows were actually tooooo tight, kinda like an overly tight starting chain on crochet. Then next rows looser, making it do this funky arc like a frown. Okaaaay. So then experimented with shaping to alter it
bigger stitches even more, until I liked the look, but then decrease the number gradually to square it up. Yay. That worked, so now roughly straight up and down sides on tube, although a little buckled in lower section, but hey it’s practice. Kept going until ran almost outa that yarn, using last bit to whip the bottom of the pouch closed. I think I’m gonna line it and put in a zipper and use it for a notions bag. (See lower right pic)

Ok, I think I have the hang of it better, so next experiment is using some yarn that would make a pretty hat (some handspun wool/mohair), see if I can get a circle going, and play with gradual shaping. So good so far. (See pic of hat in progress, upper right)

And I’m still loving that copper yarn needle I forged a little bit back. A successful experiment there. And it’s a good size for worsted weight yarn or smaller.

12 Likes

custom stamp made for a customer. I love it when I get to do cartoon characters from my childhood. brings out the kid in me.

17 Likes

congratulations to Mike Glass who completed his domino project on the HAAS.

12 Likes

Speaking of HAAS, congratulations to James Staud who completed his 3rd project on the haas and is now an authorized user.

11 Likes

I don’t normally work in the ‘positive’ but this is a custom request that will be incorporated into a ‘cowboy church’ sign. 11" long in Alder wood. the lettering will be done as a seperate cutout. 3D cutting is slow but well worth it. This is why DMS need Aspire over VCarve.

IMG_1814

17 Likes

As a follow-up to the post I made about the deer stand seat repairs/rebuilding, I got a nice sized hog on Saturday from that seat. It was about a 90 to 100 yard shot - I haven’t measured the distance yet to the feeder.

Blurred using spoiler text option so not everyone has to look at a pig on the tailgate:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

2 Likes

Offsiting will never be the same again

1 Like

I’ll clean the truck before then

Right now I’m having fun driving it around with the nasty bumper. :clown_face: