I started this sometime in the late spring. My wife saw something she liked at Crate and Barrel and made the mistake of not just buying it right then. “I can make that,” I said. (Link to the “real” thing: https://www.crateandbarrel.com/lisle-wall-art/s215151)
Can and should are two vastly different things, my friends.
The first step was, I took the CNC router class (thanks, @AlexRhodes) and passed my test (thanks, @cghaly). I bought some 2x10s and 2x8s and jointed and planed them down to 1-inch thick. I used a picture (and dimensions) from the website to design the pieces. I cut all the pieces on the Multicam - the parts for the lattice were all done there, including the dadoes for the overlaps. It took multiple trips to the space because I’m terrible at estimating my time.
And I had some help one day from @cghaly when my pieces were moving around and he kindly pointed out that a) my bit was loose and b) I had the dust collector too low and it was bumping my stock. Thanks Chris! EDIT: Also, @tapper helped me out a couple of times when I was wandering around the wood shop looking confused.
I took all the pieces home and separated them from their tabs, then brought it all back to the space for sanding on the spindle sander and belt sander. Then back home for finishing.
Then life got in the way. Death in the family; trips to see our kids; a parent’s big milestone birthday; vacation (I highly recommend hiking with llamas). Not to mention oppressive Texas heat in my garage, where I’d be doing most of the finishing work. Somewhere in there I managed to glue-up the lattice, after adding to my clamp collection. Doing 49 glue joints with only 4 “decent” clamps was not on the agenda.
Finally kicked it back into gear in October. Stained everything. Finished everything with polycrylic (for less odor). Then started assembling.
Anyways, it’s done, and hung on the wall, and now I can start something else!
Tips - make sure all your dimensions make sense. All the little fiddly bits wound up a little undersized versus the lattice compared to the original. Not by much, but 1/8" off on one piece adds up when you line six pieces up in a row. C’est la vie.
To add insult to injury, the first time I tried to hang it, the hanging hardware tore out of the back of the art, so I had to make one more trip to the hardware store.
And no, I will not make another one. If someone wants the files, though, I’ll gladly share them.
Imgur album of some progress pics: CLICK HERE!