Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - June 2016

Chuck and Nicole went to Italy to make memories. We are back and grumpy.

Chuck investigated gelato flavor paste. Nicole made Nutella her best friend (and wine, lets not forget that).

Approach with delicacy…we are slow to return to the grind of such harsh American ways such as working. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

13 Likes

Welcome back you two! Love the frowny faces. I feel the same way when having to leave Italy. One of the most inviting and wonderful cultures on earth. I hope you had a great time.

Custom order - 3 stacking rings. She sent me the sapphire and I created a step bezel for it…pretty happy with how this turned out, given I don’t really have the tools to set small, faceted stones.

Rose cut sapphire necklace

Green tourmaline & moonstone earrings

8 Likes

Mi piace molto!! Hai imparato un po di italiano?

A few weeks ago (probably going back to May), @Nick offered to vinyl cut a version of the Logistics logo - said he had some a sample of dark green material that would be ideal. So flash forward to today and I’ve bothered gotten around to applying it:

But wait - there’s more. So much more:

Learned lesson: wait for the wind to die down before applying a ~22" vinyl sticker outdoors.

9 Likes

Shame the vinyl is only one color. reddish orange flames in the dumpster would have looked great!

4 Likes

It’s inside baseball as it stands…

Question? Is the dumpster the one at DMS or at Assured Storage?

Both. Neither. It is up to the viewer to decide.

1 Like

I thought everyone at the 'Space knew that all “dumpsters” are simply ephemeral projections masking, for the sake of simple human sanity, the wormhole entrances to their blackhole (“magic”) quantum “recycling center” (dump), thus making all “dumpsters” effectively the same “dumpster”…

3 Likes

Ahhh … Schrodinger’s Dumpster effect. You don’t know which until you look inside.

4 Likes

Hi everyone – we just finished an Android App that we made at the Makerspace! Our app, Ike, is a playful todo list created in the spirit of President Eisenhower’s priority matrix.

Please let us know what you think:

• Jenny & Long
9 Likes

Got all the pieces made for a wheel based coffee table

3 Likes

Made a few pens this month. The Thuya burl is a gift for a friend. Thuya is one of the most exquisite woods I’ve ever worked with. The pen also has a fragrance that is very pleasant. So much so that they use it for incense and perfume in Morocco where the wood comes from.

Here are a couple I made yesterday one is Maple Burl the other is Peruvian Walnut.

Making these can be very addicting and make your wife suggest that you consider selling some of them to recover some of the cost of the materials.

The reality is that making them is just a lot of fun.

7 Likes

A spectacular failure when test printing on Mendy in 3D fab, the spool fell behind the y-axis mid print and the robot continued to print shifted.

I upgraded the extruder on my Mendel90 with a E3D titan extruder and a thin pancake stepper motor and a radial fan, this makes the extruder way more compact and about half the weight as the original extruder assembly which improves print quality and reliability.

Here’s a little teaser for a 3D printing project I’m starting for Quakecon 2016

6 Likes

Logistics has been investing in our ryobi hand tools this past month, got more batteries, some replacement angle grinders, more impact drivers, and some other additions

Turns out an M6 bolt head fits perfectly in the mounting holes for the chargers

7 Likes

Locked them down, eh? Presumably to within +/-0.010" tolerance?