Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - July 2017

20 Likes

Epic, am I right?

So, I have been preparing class material this week. Below is a picture of the two items for the class monday, “You don’t need an Arduino to flash an LED”

On the left is a booklet I created that contains support and reference material for the folks in the class. It is intended to give them a single location for much of the information needed to play with the circuit(s) we will discuss in the class. The second item is an optional items for the attendees. It is a bagie with a small breadboard and all of the components needed to build the two circuits discussed and use the equipment in Electronics to get hands on experience with how they work. Anyone who attends the class can purchase one of the bagies for my cost, $4

15 Likes

Made a 10x10 flat packable “pop up” cover for our wasteland trip. The collapsible ones can’t take any amount of high winds, and only lasted us for two trips. These guys should be heavy enough to not take off in the wind and not collapse when blown on as well.

13 Likes

Im curious to hear how that holds up and works out.

1 Like

Me too, totally untested

1 Like

I’ve been working to improve the storage in our Colorado cabin. We had some plywood shelves, but with them being 2 feet deep we kept losing things in the back. I came up with some rollout shelves to replace the fixed deep shelves.

Made of pine 1x8’s (now 7" wide) assembled with a Kreg jig for pocket holes, MDF sides to hold items in, and 2" wheels (4 per shelf) on the bottom.

I put some beetle-kill pine (aka “blue wood” from the mold which _actually_kills the trees) stained a light oak on the front to dress them up.

Made at the Fort Collins Creator Hub using their woodworking tools. Since it’s a 50 minute one-way drive from there to the cabin, the “measure twice, cut once” maxim was especially appropriate.

A couple of WIP shots:

22 Likes

Puppy-Baby-Monkey Boy! Puppy-Baby-Monkey Boy! Puppy-Baby-Monkey Boy!
Sorry, I get carried away sometimes. It’s puppies in a basket. This is a result of a new embossing stamp pressed into a wallet back. The plate was done in Delrin plastic and cut on the HAAS. Cleanup is incredibly easy since most of the dust stays on the table and vacuums right up. Cheers!

10 Likes

Why haas instead of the routers

'cause I’m the HAAS guy.:grin:

2 Likes

Haha fair enough! Just wondering for personal knowledge in case it had something to do with it being way superior or something

no the truth is that this was the first plate I’ve run on the haas where all of the toolpathing was created under Fusion360. So I was in part expecting a spectacular failure. and since the delrin is 80% cheaper than brass it makes sense to prototype with the cheaper material. Now that it is proven in, I’d cut the next version in brass - for which the haas is best at.

4 Likes

Decoden class was a lot of fun!! I didn’t have high expectations because I am not great at cake decorating but I’m pleased with my first attempt. Awesome class!

9 Likes

Do it with thick slip…your clay goddess will thank you

1 Like

Made another batch of jacketed hollow point bullets for reloading.
I use 9 mm brass
annealed the brass to make it soft
i use 9mm cast soft lead cores which I also make myself from wheel weight lead

then press swaged the cores to form the points for the .40 JHP bullets.

A typical box of .40 hollow points cost about $37 retail - I can make my own heavier jacketed hollow point bullets for under $10 a box in reloading supplies.

8 Likes

These aren’t finished yet, but super pleased with making friends with cylinder shape on the pottery wheel in class today. I never got the hang of this shape when I tried a little bit of pottery ten years ago, so it’s a nice step forward. Next week we learn to trim and finish stuff. I might play with carving the thicker ones. And check out the thinner walls of that center/middle one I threw last. It might grow up to be a mug if I don’t mess it up. :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Yesterday’s screen printing class. Great students.
After everyone made a tote and a shirt, I had to explain how to fix errors no one made, lol.

Me, Jean, Mimi, Kat, Rikki, Bea, Gary, and Sybill.

17 Likes

Pins I’ve been making since the Historical Pins and Needles class in jewelry.

15 Likes

Personal challenge to smith with as few tools as possible…and to restart after a very long hiatus. She’s clumsy but I feel like I’ve gotten to the meat of what I find important to my process

10 Likes

One of the first projects I started at DMS – a Jedi Belt, now finished:

And my CNC Router test project, a plaque for my wife: – pine,stained with watered down Copper Acryllic

11 Likes