Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - July 2017

Wow. I’d love to better understand the process there. Is it a project that could be accomplished with the Shapeoko?

Very elegantly designed! I often travel with knives for cooking. You’ve got me thinking…

1 Like

You can do it on the Shapeoko for sure. It’s just a mini CNC router. I used the MultiCam which is much faster to do. I teach a class on how to do these. It’s #4 of the Inspired series of classes. You can 3D print these as well.

1 Like

This a is really nice idea and workflow. It opens the door for creating complex shapes using clay. I like the idea of using CAD and modern tools to create new designs out of traditional materials like wood and clay. Very good!
Definitely do classes on this, from designing the cutters to making the bowl. People will love it.

…beautiful

1 Like

You made me look. I’ve avoided the calendar since I’m not back in Dallas for a few months. Sigh.

I’ll cross my fingers you do the class again in the fall. Looks like your series is a big boost for makers at DMS. Nice.

I would be interested in taking a future class on this as well after I take the laser classes.

It’s really a shame there isn’t a 4th axis for the multicam. One thing you can do is to engrave a lithophane in the round using simple PVC pipe. Place a lightbulb on a base and the lithophane becomes a nice nightlight or photo. While it can ‘technically’ be done on the laser - DON’T DO IT! It gives off chlorine gas in that case. I don’t know if anyone offers an acrylic in round hollow stock to try. anyone? cheers!

Something like this?

https://www.ebay.com/i/142076799380?chn=ps&dispItem=1

it would need to be opaque and a much larger diameter than 1.5". usually it’s a 3-4" pipe.

1 Like

is this the sort of thing in discussion?

I think it’d be cooler to “machine” that from flatstock and then wrap up the globe, myself, but that wouldn’t accomplish the goal of having a 4th axis, which would also be cool…

EDIT: replaced with better example

1 Like

yep, that is what I was thinking of. cool, huh?

2 Likes

You should patent that if possible. Very cool.

congratulations to Michael Barnard who completed his domino project on the HAAS.
we’ll have quite a community of HAAS programmers/operators some day.

12 Likes

what can you do with HAAS???

anything you can do with the Bridgeport mill and the Multicam combined.

So, I finally got a version of the breadboard for the Arduino Mega formfactor complete. Took some more effort to get all six holes on the board to line up (one of which is not dimensioned on the available drawings…

So like the others, stl files and Fusion 360 design files are available from Thingiverse

10 Likes

Great idea and very nice work!

Set made in Brad’s coin ring making class and a single ring made on my own

22 Likes

in metal. We don’t allow using wood on the Haas.