Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - December 2016

Took cold saw off pallet

4 Likes

Experimenting with designing 3d printed socket holders for incoming replacement sockets in OpenScad, next need to print some to test, hopefully friction fit will be enough to hold them.

@SewingStuff

11 Likes

Used an expensive laser cutting device to make a silly Walter White (Heisenberg) snowflake for my sister-in-law’s Christmas tree :slight_smile:

Thunder Laser, 1/8" plywood from Woodcraft.

10 Likes

Not silly…Très cool!

Fixed the sandblaster, aligned the horizontal bandsaw & worked on some height control for the PlasmaCam. Getting closer to get that going. Going to do some more testing & cuts tomorrow on some thinner material. Fingers crossed :showmethemoney:

9 Likes

Finished the demo piece for the leather and laser class next month and plasma cut a batarang.

13 Likes

Love that you wedged the 'rang into the wood for the pic…perfect!

1 Like

Except that is the stump chair for the plasmacam :flushed:. Hope it can be removed and it isn’t in there forever, where would we sit?

Both items are cool though! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I should have credited the artist I stole the original design from:
Lloyd Kinsley on Behance.
https://www.behance.net/gallery/22262075/Free-Heisenberg-Snowflake-Breaking-Bad
I took his snowflake design and worked it up in Illustrator to cut.

2 Likes

Kudos for crediting the artist. But lest anyone think you actually “stole” the design … his page says it’s free for download. :relieved:

EDIT: I was trying to give you credit. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I should get some credit, I mean, he did his art for a fold-and-cut snowflake. I’ve done 11 times the work he did, copying that around the circle. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

First version of socket holder worked great, was impressed that leaving 0 tolerance for tabs that hold onto socket and making them 1/4" tall resulted in perfect amount of retention. A good feature of this design is that you can’t put a socket in the wrong spot (except smallest 4 that share same diameter). it will just fall out. Other socket sets and colored filament are in the mail so these aren’t in the auto toolbox yet.

11 Likes

Can you please design and 3-d print something that will force people to put the sockets and handles back where they belong? Thanks in advance…

3 Likes

I need to probably start monitoring that regularly again. I’ve been slacking!

1 Like

After watching latest AvE and finding a 3/4" SS bolt in our free supply (I think it was the only one) made a fridge magnet:

4 Likes

I made a 3D version of a gaming board for the Conan miniatures board game.

Mostly made of insulation pink foam, foamcore and some laser cut plywood for the walls.

23 Likes

Here are two Darts Cases I made for Christmas gifts.Built the pattern in Illustrator, laser cut the leather, stained and saddle stitched. This was my first leather project and I learned a lot. Thanks @bitta for all the help! I hope the Family likes them.

14 Likes

Very nice job Nick! Great project for small pieces of leather, too. Maybe you should teach a class. :grinning:

3 Likes

I created this map for my folks, using the Multicam. It features the states where they’ve lived together, and the state where each of them primarily grew up.

8 Likes