Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - August 2017

Made some more skulls but this time 100% more glow in the dark, heh. The dragon is about 15" long and the eyes are glowing more brightly due to holding the UV light over the eyes for longer. Really nifty effect (thanks @Kriskat30 for the glowing dragon skull photos).

-the purring dork

14 Likes

congratulations to both Randall Rehfuss and Douc Le who both completed their HAAS domino project and are on their way to bigger and better stuff.

13 Likes

After more hours than I care to admit, the upgraded harness for the Ranger is ready to be installed. Now I just need to not f__k up the insertions into the relay sockets then futz around with the dreaded headlight aiming.

9 Likes

We made leather pen sleeves, and a sunglasses case. Various finished leather stitched with tiger thread. Much fun was had!

11 Likes

here’s a little art deco piece i did. 2.8" tall for a wallet back cut in aluminum

FullSizeRender (2)

12 Likes

Congratulations to Graham Wetzler who got his domino project done on the HAAS mill.

10 Likes

Nick, your new approach of breaking the HAAS class into three segments seems to be successful. It seems like lot of people have completed their domino - it seems to be better than under the old approach. Kudos!

5 Likes

thank you. I can’t take all the credit but it sure seems like we’ve got a bigger success rate than the old system.

4 Likes

Not much to show yet but the tools at DMS are procreating! Between Walter, Inventables, and Shapeoko I have all the parts for my X-carve. Working on the gantry tomorrow…then I can return to beating my head on the wall with the laser and 3D printer repairs lol

3 Likes

Did you leave sone X-bar in electronics? If so, it’s now at lost and found.

After taking the class Thursday, I stayed back after and successfully completely the class practice turners cube!

Special thanks to @nicksilva for giving me a one on one last week to get my sherline training and to enable me to take the class and to @wandrson for offering such a great and challenging class! Looking forward to making my next one out of the brass cube!

16 Likes

Nah it all got delivered to the house and I’m trying really hard to assemble it here…that said I think once I’ve put together the X-carve/Shapeoko I’ll have a better idea how to solve the issue on the little laser. I did post getting the other two calibrated as a job opportunity though and am willing to pay someone else because the donors of both machines would like them used ASAP and I don’t have time to work on all three with my learning curve

1 Like

Not finished yet but I’m very happy with where it’s going. American elm burl with cherry and ebony lid.

20 Likes

Looks great! Glad you found a good use for the burl! That burl has been waiting for someone to use it for 20 years.

2 Likes

Ooooh lovely. I particularly like what you’ve done with the lid and the finial. They complement the burl beautifully!

1 Like

Great Job! :+1: Looks good!

1 Like

The electronics committee was talking about creating ‘kits’ for Arduino classes. To package the Arduino boards and breadboards, so that they were less likely to walk off, I modified my design to include the logo and property of DMS Electronis, then printed ten of them.

15 Likes

Making soap and soap making - results from the first class. Soap is not blurry, my photography is. On left are jasmine essence and on right are a mixed pink grapefruit and rosemary essence. Thanks Joshua for a fun class

10 Likes

Some “makes” are in the realm of the Virtual …

I took the LT Spice circuit class today and everyone did some simulations … here’s one of mine on my Macbook Pro … I’m looking forward to building it in the Real and comparing … (in the Real this blinks two LED’s)

9 Likes

Teapot and Raku Bowl each took 2nd
Brown bowl took 1st in Wheel Thrown

I think the Teapot should have been in a different category? but, it was a last day to enter, and get my stuff up there thing.
:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

7 Likes