Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - April 2016

That was an amazing video Nick. You have to love a nation that can support a presumably 30 minute TV show concerning such a engineering based challenge. A spinning top that runs for nearly 19 minutes! That is an amazing piece of skill.

I don’t think it was a fair comparison of design issues though. I suspect problem with the aerospace engineers top was execution, not design. With the machine shop top being produced by machinists with 30+ years of experience, I suspect it was just made better. What I would love to see is a design by the engineers produced by those machinists. I suspect it would outperform what each group was able to produce individually.

Maybe we should have such a competition at the space?

3 Likes

After this month’s adventure in offsiting, I hacked together this logo for Logistics in CAD:

13 Likes

**_

WOOT! WOOT!

LOGO BIAS ALERT!!

WOOT!! WOOT!!

LOGO BIAS ALERT

The Blue Tape Team has been dispatched to cover this.

Sorry couldn’t help myself.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Existing logo: Straight lines, right angles, and ratios that are easy to guess (turns out I only committed one small error when I finally found a sketch with the relative dimensions)

Foxy logo: Curves, complex shapes, and doesn’t exist in a format I can import into CAD

It wasn’t a hard choice. I spent more time tweaking the “recycling” arrows than any other aspect of that piece.

3 Likes

Fixed: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/File:FOX_logo_banner_dxf.zip
(Wiki doesn’t allow dxf file types, so its a zip of the dxf)

Now I have options for the potential next release. Maybe I’ll up the inside baseball factor and show the dumpster on fire too.

2 Likes

+1 for dumpster fire.

Also I think we should paint flames on the dumpster. It makes cars go faster, therefore it should make pickups faster.

3 Likes

Custom order stacking ring - rose cut black garnet

Sterling chain with enameled copper rings:

11 Likes

Threw together a wooden clock made of charred pine and a cedar inlay.

11 Likes

Started in March but completed in April… Here are some photos of the leather notebook cover I made by taking the class given by @morganntho! Super pleased with how this turned out! In the class we created our design file, laser cut the leather, then stained and learned how to stitch it together. I decided I wanted to “paint” my design with waterstain, and then used those colors on the interior pieces and kept the rest really natural looking. Thank you Morgan for teaching and inspiring us with this project!

15 Likes

I Tom Sawyer’ed you, you Tom Sawyer’ed me…

4 Likes

Here’s another image from the same photo shoot as the first post in this thread. It was with Brian (@brianbterry) and Ryan (@JRyan_Artist). If you’re interested in night photography or photography in general hit me up, there will be more photography outings in the future.

9 Likes

Let me know - I’d be interested.

1 Like

Finished up this bowl today using traditional turning tools with the gracious help of @mkart. Very happy with how it turned out.

15 Likes

Finally finished a project. Start projects finish whenever, right?

21 Likes

While I’m hardly a connoisseur of these things, I like the symmetrical grain selection on the doors.

4 Likes

Rough render of my next project. Touchscreen Karaoke Jukebox…

6 Likes

I have a squirrel in my attic, so I wired up a trap to send me a text message when it is sprung.

13 Likes

I used these same traps for catching many a squirrel. I put peanut butter on a pieces of bread, put it past the trip plate and catch all the squirrels you want. I once put the trap on my porch with no bait in at all except the smell left from the bait I removed. The trap was set because I neglected to trip it when I moved it and the next morning it had a squirrel in it. I also caught possums and the occasional cat in the darn thing. I have a pecan tree in the side yard and it is a squirrel magnet when the nuts are ready to harvest. I am not a squirrel fan, especially when they are in my attic. I sympathize with your situation and I love the texting addition. You should patent it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Getting close to wood cuttin time

7 Likes