Dallas Makerspace feels like Home

Not completely opposed, just time.

1 Like

How does it feel like home to you?

And a few characters.

1 Like

Home is definitely the wrong word but Iā€™m grateful for how DMS has helped me grow as a person. I think Iā€™ve learned more from DMS than from just about any other life experience. Part of that is due to interactions with other members and part of that was how the organization was structured to allow just about anyone to contribute in a meaningful way. I think what I love most about DMS is seeing people grow.

6 Likes

I like DMS because it is a world class organization and you get to interact with all kinds of people doing all kinds of neat projects.

3 Likes

Donā€™t forget paint for the dumpsterā€¦

1 Like

I think discussions are better than arguments but debating is fine in moderation and as long as they donā€™t get personalā€¦

8 Likes

I love how most everyone you talk to at the space is willing to help.
They may not know but most of them can point you in the right direction.

We have a good group of people at the space and some very knowledgeable people willing to volunteer their own time to teach you how to do something. You donā€™t find that in very many places.

Thanks for being awesome DMS

6 Likes

Wayne and I have been here a little over a year. I had always wanted to go on one of those week-long art retreats. Advertised as ways to fine tune a set of skills or explore new creative possibilities in a variety of mediums. They allow you to refocus your energy as an artist and crafter in a supportive environment. For $2650 this art retreat Iā€™m looking at ā€œmakes it easier to find and connect with people who share your interests.ā€ Phffft! For way less, I have all that 365 days a year.

I have met so many amazing people here. This place has allowed me to refocus my affair with fabric and expand out to other mediums. It also comforts me that Iā€™m not the only one that wants to make everything.

8 Likes

There are very few places that one can identify as ā€œhome,ā€ but the term is still accurate. I also call it ā€œfinding my tribe.ā€ Sometimes, a tribe dissolves or is taken away from you, and you feel a hole. I lost my other tribe not log after I found the DMS Tribe. Yes, it hurt; but in hindsight, I moved into a much better group of peopleā€“it is growth and evolution. Iā€™m honored to be among such inspired, supportive, creative people. Thank you all for having me and accepting me.

3 Likes

@MizGeek, was great to meet you and hang out at Twisted Root. The maker meetups are an amazing way to meet other members across areas of interest. Thanks @uglyknees.

1 Like

With all that has happened and is happening ā€¦ these are just growing pains and we will succeed

3 Likes

can we actually institute a dueling policy? With NERFā„¢ guns at 5 paces? Or plastics swords at dawn?

2 Likes

Well this has been suggested ā€¦

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/can-we-rent-this-for-the-day-clear-the-air-and-just-laugh-for-a-minute/52334

i saw that, but i was talking about making it a regular thing, like an airing of grievances. although having to pay $300 every time you want to yell at someone is an intriguing possibilityā€¦

1 Like

Some of our issues now are a lot like having to give o that pair of nice comfy broke in shoes
for a a pair of new shoes, Even if they fit better you keep wanting the old one

We are no longer a club we are a million dollar company we have to admit that to ourselves

That doesnt mean we abandon our culture however but it has botter a lot larger
and likely will continue to Look at the new committees that have developed over
the past couple of years! and others that will likely in the next year
Look at how some committees are adding more scope, like slip casting in Ceramica
and the future addition of lapidary to JSM