Dallas Makerspace 3D Fab Logo

We had decided to make a 3d fab logo for use with the room, t shirts,public relation material and so on, I would love to see some ideas, anyone can post something keep it simple, it can incorporate the DMS log in it as well, orange is the official 3d Fab color hopefully we can have some to choose form by the April 6th meeting.

Dunno, like this maybe??

1 Like

What about using the DMS logo, on edge, with the upper portion drawn as scaffolding/framework rather than finished, smooth sides? The 3D logo, mid-construction, so to speak.

This is NOT our logo, but kind of illustrates the concept I’m trying to describe: solid on the bottom, work-in-progress on the top…

PNG

5 Likes

Because I suck @ this kind of thing, this is all I’m going to put up here, but I like your idea, and, just out of curiosity, tried rotating the logo 90 degrees CW, and you get a nifty 3 and D out of it…

shown here with a red 3 and a yellow D:

I like it! :+1:

3 Likes

I really like the concept of that one

How about this???

By “on edge” I meant something more like this:

with the top scaffolding (shown badly as a wireframe here):

4 Likes

I think a lot of that would be lost on a t-shirt

Modifying logos devalues them. We’re all part of the same organization. We don’t need logos for each committee. Most organizations disallow this kind of thing. For example, quick Google result…

https://brand.linkedin.com/visual-identity/logo

6 Likes

I dissagree I think committees should have something they can put on a shirt or their wall for promotion.

1 Like

I agree with Luke.

Having the DMS Logo then whatever words make you happy is not an issue.

Having a logo for each Committee is grounds for confusion. There are 26 committees now.

Also, show me Coca-cola or Nike having separate logos for each item. They do not. Following how the big players do this is not a bad idea.

Also some of your logo ideas are changes to the DMS Logo which I can see causing confusion as to which one is the DMS Logo.

@Coul @mrjimmy, any comments from PR on this concept?

Yes, @Coul has a team working on brand standards. Perhaps it’s time we start socializing what we are planning so everyone is aware and has a chance to give feedback.

The goal is to create a system where a committee can create a lockup with the official logo that incorporates its own committee brand in some way. We aren’t looking to restrict committees. we just want to provide a guideline that protects the main brand while giving them the freedom to express their group’s style.

What we would prefer is something that follows a hierarchy in the branding. For example in this Baileys logo, Baileys is clearly the primary message, the flavor is clearly stated but secondary to the Baileys imagery and adheres to the Baileys style guide.
Baileys-Almande-Logo-Lockup-300x292

So DMS would be the primary brand and the committee or SIG would provide their “flavor” within the guidelines.

7 Likes

You mentioning Nike got me thinking. . . Nike does sort of mix up their logo for different sports. For example, the Nike Tennis logo looks like this (colors may vary) https://i.pinimg.com/originals/cf/6b/48/cf6b48be58d2a844d9fcc18df98a9505.jpg
The “swoosh” doesn’t change but it might be surrounded by different stuff.

Committee logos could include the DMS logo without change, but add to it or put it in a different pasture or some other mixed metaphor I can’t think of right now.

2 Likes

Look at the PR reply.

I am in agreement with that concept.

Yeah I saw that after I hit Reply. I type slow sometimes. :smiley:

1 Like

let me be clear about what was discussed at the 3dfab meeting. we want to have a logo on the wall over at the new space, and if possible the same logo on t-shirts for special events like open house or tour night. I incorporated the DMS log into what i thought was a cool idea for this.

I will talk to Coul about his as well

Thank you for taking the initiative on this. As @mrjimmy stated, we do have a team working on this and will be getting feedback from chairs and members soon when we have something to show.

We’re incorporating a recognizable color as well as an icon for each committee which will be congruent with the style guide we are developing.

I understand your desire to get merch for your committee asap and appreciate your patience as we get the imagery ready.

If you are interested, please contact one of us about joining PR and being apart of this exciting transition.

Are the committees involved in choosing their icon?

To which logo are you referring?

Your example shows well over a century of history. It takes incredible discipline and thoughtfulness for a brand to maintain that kind of consistency over the course of many generations of leadership. In the case of the Dallas Makerspace we’d likely have committees throwing out different amateur logos every other election cycle if this catches on (multiply this by 26 committees). This would help nobody. Literally doing nothing would be better than that. It’s a bad idea no matter how you look at it. If people just want to leave their mark on the space there are plenty of other productive and helpful ways to do that.

I’m not trying to poo poo volunteers for genuinely trying to do what what they perceive as helping the organization. However the doors we leave closed are just as important or more important than the doors we open. There’s a balance. If someone wanted to volunteer to paint the whole place puce inside and out would we do it and cheer them on? I’m thinking no.

2 Likes

This example is a better fit than my previous Linkedin example. The main logo of the organization is protected and shouldn’t be modified on the fly.

If people want to customize it there are clear guidelines for doing so that protect the branding. This is the step we need to take in order for committees to represent themselves in a positive and recognizable way that doesn’t damage the branding for the rest of the organization.

I’m guessing this is what the public relations committee is already working on. If not, maybe it’s something they should consider (a professional committee logo template).

1 Like