Dado Blades for Table Saw

Does anyone know if we have any Dado blades in the woodshop? If so, anyone know what sizes? I have seen them used a few times a while back, wondering if anyone has used them recently enough to know. Thanks,

Colby Sherman

We do have two sets of Dado blades - they can go fairly thick but not sure the exact dimensions. The only issue is they are meant for use on the Powermatic which is under repair right now. To use them on the StopSaw you need to change out the cartridge (which we don’t supply).

Tom

Ah, thank you for letting me know. When do we think the Powermatic will be back online? What is wrong with it?

Thanks,
Colby Sherman

The parts to make the parts have been ordered/requested.

Once we get the materials to remake the shafts, it shouldn’t take too long to do my part.

1 Like

See this is where I don’t ever get that rule change, Dms never provides the saw stop cartridges, except for the very first one, they just accept the person who’s trips it payment and has ones that they sell to said individual to replace the one the messed up, take for instance @mblatz tripped a dado cartridge a while back, paid the space and the space “sold him” one the he then used as the replacement, so the space never provided the cartridge monetary wise all they did was make replacement available for purchase by having them in house! I feel it’s very safety contradictory to say no 3/4” wide blades on the table saw that has a build in protector and only use them on like you’re saying one of the best table saw ever made that’s not gonna miss a beat while removing a 3/4” section of someone! It makes 0 sense to me for something that cost the space 0$ and is 10 fold safer

For the record there’s a Sawstop dado cartridge in the dado stack box, or at least there used to be. Someone cut away the foam in the lid to accomodate it.

Now how to change out the cartridge I have no idea. I was using the sawstop yesterday and some sheet metal or something go placed in there that makes changing the blade out a pain in the ass. I imagine the cartridge change would be even harder as there’s barely enough room in there to get your hands to change just between normal blades.

Now that i think about it I’m not sure it’d even accomodate a very large dado stack due to how the stack would push the nut further across the arbor to where I imagine it’d run into that sheet of metal or plastic or whatever it is.

The part you arent getting is we arent prohibiting the usage of dado cartridges. You just have to provide them yourself.

1 Like

But for something that cost the space 0$ to do and is the exact same thing we do with the normal cartridges that literally makes the use of a tool BANNED IN THE UK(seriously tables saw arbor length is limited to prevent use of dados due to the danger and damage they can cause) completely safe is just down right stupid, when we literally do the exact same thing just in a different size! It’s a pointless rule that take the path more fraught with risk just cause “cause” as the reason

So, the space should provide it because you think we should? Nah. Not how that works bud.

The fact that something is banned in that nanny state is irrelevant. We won the war, remember?

No the fact we already do the exact thing mentioned, literally the exact thing, in bulk quantities we probably have a good half dozen(rightfully so, that’s what we should have on hand) this is like A law against murdering people but then another one saying it’s ok to take someone’s life?? Plus it would literally cost us 0$ to provide a safer more new user friendly way to learn and use a tool, but we chose not to cause we’re just not, well but we do, but only with 1 size not the other which same rules and practice apply to

Yea but I’m pretty sure we teamed up and we really close friends, no that’s not the word, buddys, no, it’ll come to me but we became something at a couple of later dates in war lol

From the last time:

TL;DR: training, experience, and wisdom

4 Likes

Also to be completely transparent, it does not cost us $0 when the guard pops.

The guard itself costs around 75-90 depending on shipping and the random gods of Amazon.

The blade is irreparably damaged about 1/3 of the time, and a new blade costs ~60-90 depending on which blade it was.

And finally, I would estimate that 1 in 10 times that the safety goes off, it doesn’t get paid for.

That roughly equates to $75+(60/3)+(100/10) = $105, assuming the cheap(er) blade is what gets eaten. We charge $100, or let members buy and bring in their own cartridge, so we lose between $5-$25 each time the cartridge goes off.

This also doesn’t account for member time and downtime, but we’re volunteers so I guess we will ignore that.

The good news is that, usually, it only has to go off once for a member to learn that lesson and often members become much more interested in the shop maintenance and are more willing to help out once they learn that the faceless maintenance elves behind the curtain are actually humans with other things to do.

3 Likes

I don’t even know what an upside down face is but I’ll ask the 13 year old that I own tomorrow. She will set her dumb dad straight. I mean it as general agreement with a bit of whimsy.

1 Like

I was reprimanded 2 years ago for not paying for my 3d print equating to roughy less than 10$ on random
Dates and time spread out over a week by the head of 3d fab, yet when you specific time frames of trip
Points to identify specific people they’re just loafing on. 75-90, and that math doesn’t add, up cause we’re talking about the dado set which we only have a single usable one, your math is for the 10” blades
Which yes we take a hit, but either way you win here, somebody trips the dado cartridge we no
Longer have a dado set, so I shut up for
Good about it, somebody doesn’t trip the dado cartridge and we’ve taught members how to correctly use an unfamiliar tool on familiar equipment improving their practical ability
To adapt to avoid accidents and damage to machines in the shop
Yea as one of those faceless elves realigning the planer at 2am or coming in to teach someone how to use and clean the 108 bandsaw, and cleaning sawblades even though I bring my own(why I asked
For more cleaner) i know how it feels to do task and be daunted by the assumption i don’t
Contribute, except with me
It’s 2am so I literally have nothing else to do, but that just cause it 2am

Because you are supposed to pay when you print…Also this has zero to do with the current conversation.

And we wish to keep the single one unmolested by a sawstop cartridge.

I hate to think about $250-300 evaporating at the speed of SawStop.

2 Likes

You’re also supposed to pay at time of cartridge trip, but I guess the 10cwnts a gram is more pertinent to reprimands that as Ian laid out a 110-145 lost due to more often than not negligence, or it may be just cause it was me I don’t know but this even furthers my point in having the dado cartridge would
Cost 0 as we only have 1 dado stack and having just normal 10” blades is losing us 100s of dollars, so again I say it’s to me a rule with not a single bullet point why it makes sense vs having it be the same as The 10”