CVT (constant velocity transmission) tear down

For those interested - we have a CVT transmission that is going to be used as a “let’s see what is on the inside” kind of event next Tuesday starting at 8pm.

The SteamPunk folks & others may find widgets worth using in one of their projects

The remains will be recycled - not thrown in the trash

7 Likes

AWESOME!!
Wish I could be there!
(I wanna see the belt recycled into a fashion belt on a cool costume…)

Always during my work hours. Dang.

From what I have seen, the belt will be a couple hundred flat metal plates riding peon a pair of band packs,that are around 6-12 thin metal hoops that nest into one flexible hoop. They tend to fall apart fairly easily.

Would a Monday (you choose the time) work better?

yes, if so desired…

I have a case half to a 6 speed manual trans from a 24V VW you can slice up - just let me know

I’m down for Tuesday at 8PM

Aluminium yes, want more?

Have you ever actually worked on a transmission with a case which was NOT aluminum (from an automobile, tractors don’t count!)?
I’ve heard of such. I’ve seen some. Touched one or 2, maybe.
Hybrid cases, sure, but never actually worked on a ferrous-cased transmission.

Man, this makes me think I need some wrench time on some older stuff…

The manual trans from a 1953 one ton chevy is a cast iron case and weighs more than most small cars today.
Same for an early Bronco - late 60’s manual trans

1 Like

would you prefer an aluminum cylinder head - for practice ?

When it comes to cars and their parts

3 Likes

Common aluminum alloys in automotive crank and trans case use are A356 and A319. Magnesium, silicon, and copper in the mix. Make your call, I don’t know anything about machining.

1 Like

Those alloys will machine well as long as the piece can be held securely

1 Like

Then the real trick is clever fixturing. There we are. I’m glad we’ve finally found the one positive thing about CVTs.

1 Like

Cars with CVT’s are only beneficial to those that either rebuild them, service them or sell replacement transmissions - never the vehicle owner (see boat ownership).

Don’t forget the fine counterfolk who sell the magic fluid what goes into the slushy thing

8 out of 10 counterfolk are clueless when it comes to many applications - not just fluid…

Just another reason why a manual transmission is a better choice if possible